FastFerment Conical Fermenter Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silicon. See post 37.

That's weird because I just received a gasket from FastFerment and it was the thin foam and not silicone. I have both home. The silicone gasket keeps falling in the vessel. Not sure what to use to keep it stuck to the cap.

Thanks

That's weird because I just received a gasket from FastFerment and it was the thin foam and not silicone. I have both home. The silicone gasket keeps falling in the vessel. Not sure what to use to keep it stuck to the cap.

Thanks

Hmmm, odd. I don't see any details on their site about the gasket other than 35mm OD and 3.5mm thick. This matches the silicon one. The foam is 1mm on a humid day, at best. Mine locks into the lid perfectly. I got it from love2brew.com

I believe you are discussing two different things. The gasket seals the top while the o-ring (35mm x 3.5mm) seals the bottom under the drain valve.

I believe you are discussing two different things. The gasket seals the top while the o-ring (35mm x 3.5mm) seals the bottom under the drain valve.

I am talking about the gasket for the top cover

I am talking about the gasket for the top cover

Yeah, so am I. Except I failed on the dimensions, that was the Oring. I should have realized the OD was way off.
My silicon gasket is 5.875 x .125. Still way thicker than the foam thing.

So fastferment sent me a new body/lid. At least their customer retention is good. Giving it a second shot with a IIPA that has been in it for 3 days with no issue so far. Seals positive too and bottom.

Awesome, Thanks for letting us know.What gasket are you using?

The silicone gasket. Part of the problem with these things is the uneven surface at the mouth, sometimes the seems are protruding or general deformity from imperfection. They recommend taking a sanding block to it. I told them that I shouldn't have to do their job for them. Either way. Seems to be working now.

I have the silicone gasket too but it kept falling out when I would try to take the lid off. Talking with Northern Brewer about this issue, they seem to think the old foam gasket should go between the silicone gasket and the lid to hold the gasket into place and create a better seal. NB shipped out a few of the older gaskets to address this issue. Below is a copy and paste from them.

Hi Paul, I see the issue now. There is a paper gasket that goes between that rubber gasket and the lid. It actually is just the original gasket but that rubber one helps it seal better. Stick a thinner gasket between the lid and the rubber gasket and it keeps the rubber gasket pushed against the threading and holds it in place. I can send you a handful. Is this still your address?

XXX

Sorry yours is having that issue but this should make it more user-friendly! Looking forward to hearing back about the address.

Cheers,
NB

36.gif
Try a search many threads about this

I would give them a call. I had the same problem and they are very willing to work with you to make you happy. I was pissed when I first started and found out there was an issue. The issue is the top of the vessel is not flat. I took the vessel and glued down 100 grit sandpaper to my work bench, grabbed the vessel with rubber gloves and just kept sanding the top until you could see all the areas meet with the sand paper thus making everything flat and smooth. They also upgraded the gasket and they will send you one I am sure. I have nothing to do with the company but I will say they have stepped up to the plate and did everything to make me happy.Send them an email from the web page and let them know.
Good luck!

I received a new vessel, lid and thin foam gasket. I cut some of the molding from the vessel, filled it with about 3 gal of water and tested with the original lid and original gasket. No leaks! Seems the vessel was the problem and the new foam gasket buys some margin. Tomorrow's brew is:
Celebration Ale
12# 2-row
2# Crystal 60 degree
1# Caripils
1/2 # Crystal 120 degree
1/2 # Munich
2 oz Centennial 10min and 3 min
1 oz Chinook 60 min
American Ale II

I haven't tried it yet but I like the idea from Kennedy. Unfortunately it seems his link is no longer working but I was able to find it here:

I just purchased the FastFerment 7.9 Gallon Conical Fermenter and I am experiencing a problem on the first batch. For four days, there was no bubbling in the bubbler, so I pitched more yeast. It's now been a week and still no bubbling. Today I took a hydrometer reading and discovered it was at the final gravity. Apparently I have an air leak in the cap. I broke in the threads according to the instructions, and tightened it as tight as it would go. I don't think the thin gasket in the top of the cap is sufficient to form a seal. Has anyone else had this problem? What solutions are there? I'm thinking about getting some thick sheet rubber and cutting my own gasket.
I just had same issue with my fast fermenter. !st time using. Been 36 hrs with no bubbler activity and seen this post on lids. I went over and cranked until I couldnt tighten it anymore and the bubbler immediatley started pounding 1 beat per second. So releaved lol.

I have 4 FF. I seldom get to a point where I have to use the third or fourth. When I’m done cleaning them, I always spray the inside down with Star San and seal them up just like I do my legs. The idea is they will be clean and sanitized when ready to use. Today I noticed two of my FF had mold growing at the top threads. Have y’all seen this problem? Do you clean them then seal them or let them air dry?

Do you clean them then seal them or let them air dry?
You should definitely clean, sanitize if you want, then let them air dry (with the lid off) when not being used, or mold will grow.
If used within a couple days, again, resanitize right before use.

Do y’all let ur kegs air dry too? I haven’t spoiled a batch YET...
You may get mold growth on the inside if left wet, or damp, yes, due to air (oxygen) being present, but it takes a few weeks, depending on temps and such. I've seen black/gray mold dots appearing in my half-full loosely covered Starsan buckets, the sides above the Starsan and underneath the lid.

Instead, you can leave them filled with Starsan, all the way up, oozing out the posts. No air in there.
Or fill them all the way with fermentation CO2 or do a 100% Starsan-filled CO2 purge. Leaving the lid on of course.

You can also leave kicked kegs closed, the headspace is all CO2. Then clean and sanitize them before refilling.

Latest posts

Back