Fast wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hefeweizen is great younger than older. Hefeweizen yeast (wy3068 in particular) ferments fast- 3 to 5 days for me most of the time. Even if u bottle I've had them sufficiently carbonate within 5 days. So u need to factor in your serving method (keg/ bottle) and how long it takes to carbonate. Keg- ferment 9 days and then keg at 3.0 to 3.3 vol co2. You can try the same time with bottles just be awarethat theymay not be fully carb'd but should be close. Just make sure if u use bottles u have thicker Belgian bottles that can take higher pressureof 3 or over vol of co2. Otherwise, stay under 3 volumes (2.8 or so)

Recipe- simple:
50% wheat
50% pilsner
(Use 1 lbs rice hulls- this is a must)
Optional: 2-4 oz Munich or 2-4oz acid malt
OG- 1.046 to 1.052
Mash temp- 149-154 (dependson what your looking for)
13-18 ibus - noble hop 60 min addition is all u need
Wy3068

Onething I forgot to mention- fermentation temp
Start temp 62-64 (62 preferred) by 3rd day let temp rise to 67-69, 70 is fine. Hefe yeast can produce good amount of sulfer. I've found increasing the temp near end helps drive off the sulfur quicker

Hefeweizen is great younger than older. Hefeweizen yeast (wy3068 in particular) ferments fast- 3 to 5 days for me most of the time. Even if u bottle I've had them sufficiently carbonate within 5 days. So u need to factor in your serving method (keg/ bottle) and how long it takes to carbonate. Keg- ferment 9 days and then keg at 3.0 to 3.3 vol co2. You can try the same time with bottles just be awarethat theymay not be fully carb'd but should be close. Just make sure if u use bottles u have thicker Belgian bottles that can take higher pressureof 3 or over vol of co2. Otherwise, stay under 3 volumes (2.8 or so)

Recipe- simple:
50% wheat
50% pilsner
(Use 1 lbs rice hulls- this is a must)
Optional: 2-4 oz Munich or 2-4oz acid malt
OG- 1.046 to 1.052
Mash temp- 149-154 (dependson what your looking for)
13-18 ibus - noble hop 60 min addition is all u need
Wy3068

That is the yeast I ended up using, I pitched 2 smack backs in a 1.048 OG batch we brewed late Sat night, and yesterday about noon (about 15 hours after pitching) it had blown my airlock out of the top of the bucket, even though I left PLENTY of headspace in there as the website recommended (5 gal in an 8 gal bucket), and every time I open my ferm chamber up to check on it, I get smacked in the face with an extreme banana smell.....which I think came from my initial rest at 112 degrees for 15 min, before I ramped it up to 150 until conversion was complete.

Due to the time constraints of needing this ready for a certain time, I will go from primary straight to keg on the 24th (which will be a full 14 days in primary) and then let this keg condition at 3.0 for 7 days, then ref and serve on the 8th...

Do you think the sulfur will be out in that time frame? If not, I COULD just tell the couple that I cooked it for it just isn't ready in time, and maybe offer them one of my beers that I do have ready.

Do you smell sulfur now? I don't think you should have much if any. I love hefe with banana, so this sounds perfect.

I did a summer ale (wheat and pils) this year that was fast. I fermented 10 days in primary, cold crashed 1 day, kegged on day 11. It was great 6 days later, but probably could have been sooner.

14 days is well enough time for the sulfur to dissipate if there is any. Btw- Thought u wanted to start drinking it in 15 days. I usually keg my hefeweizen in 10-12 days. If its done fermenting- no need to let hefe's age anymore. And yeah, forgot to mention- hefeweizen yeast is explosive

14 days is well enough time for the sulfur to dissipate if there is any. Btw- Thought u wanted to start drinking it in 15 days. I usually keg my hefeweizen in 10-12 days. If its done fermenting- no need to let hefe's age anymore. And yeah, forgot to mention- hefeweizen yeast is explosive

I did, but the dates changed for the party this was suppose to be for due to flights, so I have a few extra days

My house recipe is almost the same as above and I start at 64 and raise 2 deg a day for 5 days. I keg on day 6 with 35 psi. Reduce to 3.0 vol of co2 and I am drinking on day 8. Never had any problems with sulfur. Hefeweizens are quick with 3068.

Back