Fast Start to Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed an IIPA yesterday and set up bucket with blowoff tube. It started bubbling pretty fast after about 7 hours, I've never had that happen before. This morning (about 17 hours after brewing) the tube was clogged and the lid was bulging out. I cleaned the tube and put it back. Is this normal? Will the fermenting get even more rapid?

Yes, it this is a very normal experience. Fermentation can take off very rapidly given the ideal conditions. The hop debris can also get pushed into your blow off tube, and will cause the clog you are referencing. To circumvent this, go with a larger diameter of tubing. I very quickly made the change to the 1 inch vinyl tubing, after having a major eruption in my fermentation chamber.

You should expect the fermentation to peak in 24-48 hours, and then slowly subside. Cheers! :mug:

Back