Fast Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zweasel

Reaction score
I brewed a batch beer on last Saturday, the fermation has slowed enough to go into the secondary however, I was thinking about just kegging to take it up north on a camping trip this weekend. Is there anyway to filter out what would settle in the secondary or just let it go and enjoy the way it is.:drunk:

well you can, but it hasnt had time to age yet.

No need to filter, everything will fall out in the keg. The first glass or two will have the sediment in it, but should be fine after that. I wouldn't rush it IMHO though. You've put this much time into it, you should let it age out completely. Maybe just pick up a couple cases of some good beer, then plan a camping trip around the time of beer being finished.

It really won't taste very good at this point. Fermentation isn't the whole process. Green beer has been known to cause gastric upset, which may or may not be a problem camping.

Im really surprised that nobody asked what kind of beer you brewed....

An English Mild or Bitter can be fermented, kegged and carbonated and ready to drink 10 - 12 days after pitching the yeast. By the time you are half way through the keg it will be clear. If it was a wheat beer you can do the same thing...

To say your beer has to sit for 2 weeks isn't true for all styles and not all beer needs to "age"....

The beer that I brewed was a pilsner using 7.75 lbs of 6 row and 2 lbs corn with a lot of hops 1oz cluster 60min, 1oz hallertauer 30 min, and 1oz hallertauer 15 min. I used #2112 Wyeast California Lager and that seemed to slow by Thursday but started back up Thursday night and went until Saturday. I racked to a secondary on Sunday. Now I will wait for a while before I keg this one.:rockin:

Back