Farmhouse "Pliny Pack"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabbz

Reaction score
Living in Michigan I've not had the chance to sample some Pliny the Elder, but I'm thinking of brewing up a clone nonetheless. Noticed that Farmhouse brew supply has Pliny Pack which it says is all the hops needed to clone. Anybody buy this? What are your thoughts on it?

It doesn't list the contents. That part of why I asked.

For $15 I doubt you are getting all of the hops you need, or some of them are substituted. I believe you use a about a pound of hops for this beer.

Shoot them an email and see if they will list the contents.

The kit from AHS has 14 oz of hops in it of various amounts and types. I should be getting my 2 kits (buy one get one free) from them for this beer tomorrow so I can let you know then what it has in it from them.

From Brew 365
1.5 oz - Chinook (First Wort or Mash Hop)
2.75 oz - Warrior (90 Min.)
.5 oz - Chinook (90 Min.)
1 oz - Simcoe (45 Min.)
1 oz - Columbus (30 Min.)
2.25 oz - Centennial (Flameout)
1 oz - Simcoe (Flameout)
3.25 oz - Columbus (Dry Hop)
1.75 oz - Centennial (Dry Hop)
1.75 oz - Simcoe (Dry Hop)

I don't know if this is the original, just a quick search.

masskrug said:
For $15 I doubt you are getting all of the hops you need, or some of them are substituted. I believe you use a about a pound of hops for this beer.

Shoot them an email and see if they will list the contents.

It does come with all the hops needed to brew Pliny, I've sold hundreds of these packs. The recipe is the one Vinny handed out at the NHC awhile back, all I did was adjust the bittering addition due to AA%.

Can't speak to the Pliny Pack specifically, but I've ordered from FHBS multiple times and have had great experiences. I'd be surprised if they're trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

The fact that this pack goes in and out of stock just goes to show that they're making sure that you're getting the correct, sometimes hard to find (ahem, simcoe) hops that this recipe requires.

I have taken first in category and best of show with a Pliny clone kit from farmhouse. It was at Hoptoberfest in Madison last fall which was an all hoppy beer contest.

Cheers.

BSD

Back