Farmed Yeast coming (back?) to life!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewer12345

Reaction score
i dont know what to make the title but i just wanted to explain what happened when making my starter tonight and make sure it’s normal. so a couple weeks ago i built a starter to farm a packet of Bootleg Biology NEEPAH. tonight i opened the mason jar, decanted, and let the mason jar rest/warm a bit while i sanitized. while cleaning i noticed the little bit of liquid in the mason jar was bubbling/foaming and the yeast started to suspend and look almost porous? i swished it up and pitched it into the starter- but does this make sense/sound normal? thanks in advance!!

Sounds like CO2 coming out of solution in the yeast cake making it have holes. That can happen a bit. Was it in the fridge before?

fwiw, I've had jars of stored yeast "invert" like that if I let them warm up too long before decanting.
It has to be CO2 in the "beer" coming out of solution with the temperature rise...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back