Fantasia hops anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully896

Reaction score
Got some Fantasia hops for free, and can't find much on them other than the description...

"This unique Barth-Haas-Group Hop Composition provides a silky touch of cream and caramel to your beer."
Analytical Data
Alpha w/w: 4.3%
Total Oils mls/100gm: 0.9

...but would like to get some opinions from anyone who has actually used them, and what you guys/gals have used them in. First thought is obviously some kind of cream ale, but that's not a style I usually go for. English pales? English IPAs maybe?

hey,

we tasted it at the Brau in Nuremberg this year. Quite interesting but also rather delicate hop. aroma is like cream caramel and apricot yoghurt.

we brewed a Düsseldorf Alt with it and whripooled the Fantasia hops. gave an interesting twist. but a cream ale or an american wheat can't be rong, too.

cheers jan

Sounds like it might work in a beer with chocolate malts in it - brown, stout, etc.

Of course, you'd probably end up getting something other than the cream/caramel described. Seems pretty standard to me for the descriptions of hop flavors and aromas to be kind of overstated.

sounds good for any dark malty beer.

you do know the cream ales dont actually taste anything like cream right?

sounds good for any dark malty beer.

you do know the cream ales dont actually taste anything like cream right?

Nope, have no idea what they taste like really. I'm always open to any style, but I guess they've never caught enough of my attention. :confused:

they are one of the hybrid ale/lager styles. basically super pale, low abv, clean, refreshing, little to no hop character, pretty boring IMO

they are one of the hybrid ale/lager styles. basically super pale, low abv, clean, refreshing, little to no hop character, pretty boring IMO

Basically what I've heard other people say for the most part. Probably explains why I skip over them whenever I'm out.

Thanks for the reply guys, looks like a brown ale might be where these hops end up.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back