False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddup_is_a_middup

Reaction score
I am getting ready to build my AG setup. I have 3 sanke kegs and was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction in False bottoms. Which Brands/Styles have worked well for you? (Previous Question Assumes "worked well" is associated with none (or very few) stuck sparges"

Bring it on:rockin:

I haven't used a false bottom, so I'm not speaking from experience, but it looks to me like the ones on the SABCO site are very nice. This one for instance. They are specifically made for those sankey kegs.

I tried editing my post above...the thing didn't save...

Anyway, this is the exact one that I have. I used it last night making a 10 gallon batch of original pale ale. If you need to resize the aperture on the bottom, take a dremel or air grinder and go to town. The dip tube that comes with it is a bit way small.

www.morebeer.com has some domed false bottoms that are nice if you have a tall, narrow kettle (or keggle). I use one of those as a hops screen.

I made my own false bottom for my cooler conversion mash tun using perforated stainless from www.onlinemetals.com.

4688-mashtun.JPG

I've been using a Phil's Phalse Bottom (from Listermann, check the web) for years. It works fine. There are also SS ones for a bit more. My plastic one collapsed once, and Listermann replaced it free. It isn't worth the time to make your own, unless your time is free.

Same as Tom, except mine has never collapsed in the twelve years I've been using it.

I had a couple of stuck sparges (with a lot of flaked barley) before I learned to add enough foundation water and bleed the air out of the outlet before adding the grain. Not a single problem since.

-a.

Tom Hess said:
It isn't worth the time to make your own, unless your time is free.
Absolutely, if you're planning on drilling a bunch of holes in some cheap plastic.

However, I made mine from stainless in under an hour for $30. I can fly or batch sparge as I please because it covers the entire cooler bottom. Certainly worth my 45 minutes, I think.

I have a 5 gallon beverage cooler, my false bottom is a 9" collapsable vegetable steamer with a hole drilled in the center and an elbow through it to drain the SWEET wort... it cost me $8 to build and I am getting 75-80% efficiency...

Brewpilot

I see that most, if not all, AG'ers that mash with a Sanke draw the wort from the side of the keg. Is the only reason for not drawing straight from the bottom is due to direct firing of the mash tun or is there another reason? I'm in the process of designing my first AG setup and am leaning towards a HERMS style brewery. Since I won't be using direct firing of the mash tun, I thought I could drain it from the bottom of the keg.

Wild

wild said:
I see that most, if not all, AG'ers that mash with a Sanke draw the wort from the side of the keg. Is the only reason for not drawing straight from the bottom is due to direct firing of the mash tun or is there another reason? I'm in the process of designing my first AG setup and am leaning towards a HERMS style brewery. Since I won't be using direct firing of the mash tun, I thought I could drain it from the bottom of the keg.

Wild
I think you may regret the decision to eliminate the opportunity to apply direct heat to your mash tun. While it's not entirely necessary, why limit yourself?

I have used the Sabco Brewmagic system extensively and it's TITS. I have also used the Polarware 40qt kettle with a Polarware false bottom and it worked equally well for a small batch!!!!!:ban:

I have tried many false bottoms over the years and so far these false bottoms are superior to anything I have used. I can take close up pics if you want. These false bottoms are made by Pico Brewing systems. These will fit in any half barrel. I use them for boiling kettle and mash tun. I have never had a stuck run-off, mash, valve, anything. These false bottoms catch everything. I have mashed up to 40 lbs of grain in my mash tun with no problems. I have used almost a pound of whole hops in my kettle, no problems. the supports are made of stanless steel and the false bottoms are copper. These fit nice and tight into place.
pico01.jpg

Back