False bottom, rubbermaid cooler MT and 3 stuck sparges in a row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff62217

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just thought I'd share my experiences with a 10g rubbermaid Home Depot cooler mash tun with recently uprgraded false bottom from bazooka tube. I bought a false bottom from amazon, a 12" if I recall, the reviews indicated it would work with my mash tun. Fits near perfectly with a hair of free space between the edges/false bottom

My first time using I had added a piece of plastic tubing that fit the inside of the hex nut/elbow fitting, but cut back enough not to prop up the false bottom.

First results were the mash pressing down om the bottom and tube created a perfect seal preventing wort from flowing out, the marks were evidence upon clearing the stuck sparge.

Second time sans plastic tube from the elbow... a bunch on grain pieces clogged the transfer tube... discovered when I transferred the wort/grain out of the tun into a bucket.

Third time, today with a 12.5lb grain bill, stuck and flowing oh so slowly if I tilted, when cleared I was unable to determine the cause... but getting pretty sick of this nonsense. After draining and refilling, no problem.

I'm thinking of putting some SS hose braid underneath the hex nut/elbow.... for extra grain filtration.

I've notced when it doesn't get stuck the vorlouf clears much faster than my braid but just never had this problem before I switched. Any tips or help is much appreciated.

Is it a dome false bottom? I use one on my 5 gal set up. Just make sure all your dip tube, tubing and fittings are all tight our you will get no flow.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Perhaps your crush is too fine?

Maybe try using rice-hulls as well.

I have one of the domed false bottoms, and it's always worked great for me. What are you using to connect the false bottom to the spigot?

I think I have a similar set up to what you are describing and have never had a problem with a stuck sparge. I am not quite sure I follow your description of your tubing set up though. Here is mine ............ no issues at all.

MashTun1.jpg

MashTun2.jpg

I think I have a similar set up to what you are describing and have never had a problem with a stuck sparge. I am not quite sure I follow your description of your tubing set up though. Here is mine ............ no issues at all.

What kind of tubing is that you're using? Pretty sure my problem is tubing collapsing from the heat/weight of grist

I have a similar setup, but using SS instead of tubing. never had a stuck sparge & don't have to worry about being too aggressive with my mash paddle. You can also see the bottom is notched so that even if it sits on the bottom, there's still plenty of room for flow.

WP_20140708_002.jpg

WP_20140708_005.jpg

Good call on using the heat tubing. Second on trying some rice hulls. I also have found that when I'm mashing in my grain if I'm not careful I can knock my false bottom around with my mash paddle and allow some grain to seep under the false bottom.

I also have a similar setup and never had any issues.

How fine do you crush your grains?

I also have a similar setup and never had any issues.

How fine do you crush your grains?

I have a millar's mill b3 (which I'm not too fond of, but will save that for another thread) It was set to the lowest setting previously due to milling a high % wheat grain bill.. not sure what the gap size is at the smallest setting.

Here's a pic of the inside of the tun:

fb.jpg

Here's a pic of the inside of the tun:

Based on that picture your tubing should be fine. Here's what I use which is probably "softer" than your hose and it doesn't close off under the weight of the grain.

Also, you'll notice I don't have any clamps on the hose either. If your hose is a little bit long it will fit snuggly in between the two barbs and you'll have no need for clamps. That's less stuff to clean and less gunky nasty stuff in your mash tun too.

Latest posts

Back