False bottom question please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khasta

Reaction score
Hey guyz, i do my mash in a kettle with a false bottom, and when i am done sparging there is still like 2 liters of wort in there that wont go out the spigot unless i tilt my kettle, what should i do with that? Just toss is away or tilt and get it in my boil kettle? Cause it looks very concentrated with good sugars, and a lot of malt residu... What do you guyz do?

My main concern is losing all the goodies in that concentrated wort, but at the same time if i tilt ill be puting a lot of malt residue and husk and all that crap that should of stayed in my grainbed... 🤔

Technically, that leftover is no more concentrated than the rest of your mash. If you're really losing 2 liters to Mash Tun Dead Space, you might want to consider tweaking your recipes to account for that. Or yeah, just tilt that thang!

I will do my sparge to get to recipe volume and boil. In a separate smaller pot I tilt and empty the mash tun and do a separate, usually weaker, brew just for fun with whatever hops I happen to have on hand. I try to keep some 1 gallon carboys on hand for these random experiments. As mentioned above, as long as you are hitting your numbers, boiling all of your additions, and the beer is tasty, keep doing what are doing.

If you are sparging, the wort left in your mash tun will be lower gravity than what you have in the kettle. Depending on recipe gravity and sparge technique, the sugar content of your final runnings will vary.

Are you batch or fly sparging? Fly will minimize the sugars in the MT dead space. I used a cooler years ago with the drain an inch or so off the bottom and left a good bit of wort behind, after measuring the gravity of the second runnings I decided not to fret over the loss.

Ideally your MT should have a dip tube to minimize the dead space.

Latest posts

Back