False bottom idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast636

Reaction score
I just got done building my first keggle and have been pondering over the idea of not buying a false bottom and drilling all the holes on the top I cut out weld stainless mesh over top hole with ss washer for dip tube to enter. Has any one done this or think this will work? I think when I put it down in the bottom of my keggle it has about 2.5 3inch gap from the sides. Any thoughts or tips would be great thanks,

It has been done by several forum members that I have seen in the past with good success. I was considering it myself, but had too many other brewing projects going, so I just went with the PICO false bottom.....couldn't be happier! Do a couple of searches and you'll find some examples. Good luck! :mug:

Dam I should of done a search lol thanks man looks like its time to get to drilling thanks for the link to the thread

No problem. I have found that recently the search engine on HBT isn't as all encompassing as it used to be. Sometimes, when you are looking for a specific project, technique, etc. on HBT, just do a google search and select the HBT threads that show up. I have had much more luck using an outside search engine to find things on the site.....wasn't always the case. Have fun drilling! ;)

Get an angle grinder with a thin blade and add a few slots into the mix too, see page 9 of the page linked! I think a mix of slots and holes would be good.

I think you'd be glad of saving yourself a few less holes to drill - it sounds like a slow process with stainless steel involved

I agree. I recall the one done by cutting slits with a small cutting wheel. Looked really cool and would save you a ton of time. Good call Len!

Here's the one I made. I have about 6 brew days on it and dont have any issues at all! Works great! The only changes I made since I took this pic was to solder the long tube to the 1/2" fitting on the end. Then, I can slide the 90degree elbow on and off the tube at the end of the mash to clean everything up. I DO add a stainless hose clamp around the 90degree elbow and tighten it down to the tube. That keeps it from sliding apart.

When it's time to clean, loosen the clamp and slide it off the tube. Simple!

538416_10101014982818209_420038037_n.jpg

Sweet thanks yours just gave me an idea for mine, I got the star top ill post pics when I finish , hoping to have holes drilled tomorrow night or Saturday. Will do the slits Monday at work

Back