Fallfest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruralbrew

Reaction score
It is getting that time of year again, starting to think about beers for the fall. If I could lager, it would have been a couple months ago. So it will be an Oktoberfest style ale again this year. I brewed a couple batches last year based on BeirMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale. They turned out pretty good, but I am thinking of trying something a bit different this year.
I am thinking of a 50/50 mix of Munich and Vienna for the base, maybe a little aromatic or melanoiden for a more golden color and Hallertauer or Tettnang for hops. Mainly at 60 minutes, but perhaps a bit of first wort hopping too. Mash in the mid 150's to get plenty of malt and some body.
For yeast I am thinking about a 50/50 mix of S-05 and W34-70, fermented as cool as I can get it in the basement. I used this mix for a Maibock this spring, and it turned out pretty good, clean and crisp without any noticeable fruitiness.

So what say ye? Does it sound like a plan? Pros? Cons?

Feedback will be appreciated, but not necessarily followed, 'cause lets face it, if we all didn't think we had a better idea we would buy all our beer in the store..........:D

Back