Falconer's Flight Continuously Hopped IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrIPA

Reaction score
Hey HBT. First time poster. Long time troller. I recently used some falconers flight in an IPA for dry hops and loved them. I decided to make an all falconers flight IPA. well mostly. Using magnum to bitter to save $$$. I am thinking of continuously hopping 2 ounces of FF from 20-0 mins and 1oz at flameout to really get the full effect. Im not sure though. Take a look:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 8.55 SRM
Estimated IBU: 76.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Mash Method: All Grain, Single Infusion, Batch Sparge
Yeast: WLP001

Grain Bill:
-----------
12.5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.0 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.75 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 50L (50L SRM)
0.25 lbs Honey Malt - CAN (3.5 SRM)
0.25 lbs Acidulated Malt
0.33 lbs Torrified Wheat

Mash at 152F for 75 mins

Hops Schedule:
-----------------
Magnum Hops (15.00% AA)
All Falconers Flight Hops (11.40% AA)

0.5 oz @ FWH - Falconers Flight (13.76 IBU)
0.5 oz @ 60 mins - Magnum (32.24 IBU)
0.1 oz/min @ 20 mins - Falconers Flight (2 oz total) (32 ibus estimated)
1.0 oz @ Flame out - Falconers Flight

========================================================

Any thoughts on the hops schedule. Too much? Too Little? Im pretty new to making recipes and ive never read any books on recipes. Just kinda throw stuff together based on other recipes ive seen on the internet.

If i use this recipe, Ill still have an extra ounce of FF left over that i was thinking about dry hopping the keg with if not too hoppy already.

Thoughts?... ty

I'd definitely dry-hop, as it is I'd say this recipe is under-hopped for something that will be probably 7% ABV, but I like real explosive aroma and flavor. This strike me as more of big APA.

Well, I was going for something that was on the bordered on the lines of an APA and an IPA. Or a big APA as you say. Glad you thought that too. When you say not hoppy enough do you mean not bitter enough or not enough hop flavor/aroma? BrewersFriend gave me 6.6% ABV at 1.067 OG. I was actually thinking of maybe decreasing the bitterness a little bit. I want this to be something like a mellow IPA as far as bitterness is concerned, but with huge hop flavor/aroma. I originally planned for 55IBUs but all the late hop editions drove the IBUs way up. I am having trouble keeping them down unless i take out the FWH and a small portion of the magnum. Any thoughts?

The grainbill is already set it stone. I already purchased, milled, and mixed it all together. I have 1 oz of magnum and 4 oz of FF to work with. The hops schedule is open to change.

For IPAs, I like to add a bunch of FF at 15 minutes and 5 minutes. Along with some cluster at about 20 minutes and magnum for the full boil. Lots of fermentables in your recipe so I don't think you can go too crazy with the hops.

4 oz of FF to work with. The hops schedule is open to change.

I'd probably add at least 3 of those 4 ounces, starting at 30 minutes, 20 minutes, 5 minutes, taste and see if you want to dry hop the other oz later. I should have read more carefully before answering. Magnum for the whole boil. Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy.

I think your original recipe looks great for what you are trying to do. At 76 IBUs, your BU:GU is 1.16 but the FWH will mellow out the perceived bitterness. You'll get tons of aroma & flavor from the continuous hopping schedule, and WLP001 should let the hops shine. I'd toss that extra oz in as a dry hop. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back