Fake OxiClean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynne-R

Reaction score
I have been using the generic Oxi for a while ‘cause it’s really cheap. I remember people on the forum mentioning that the real stuff doesn’t cause limestone precipitation (the white stuff).

It’s true! Both list sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate as ingredients, but the OxiClean™ website mentions anionic detergents. They also mentioned ‘soil dispersant’ which I think is just a gee-whiz way of saying detergent.

I don’t know if the detergent is enough to keep the water from precipitating or if they use chelators, but the name brand stuff is a very different product than the cheap generic. It’s a little foamy and soapy, and seems to work better with my bottles and glasses. Carboys, about the same.

Agreed that the name brand stuff is of better quality, however at $7 for 3 lbs vs $1 for 1 lb for the dollar store brand (LA's Totally Awesome), my dollars always go to the later.

I've used the Target brand of Oxy Clean Free and it works great. Had some scale on some 1g glass jugs that I let soak and some evaporated out, but I think I also had some stick to the neck when I poured the FoxyCleen in there...

I've used the Target brand of Oxy Clean Free and it works great. Had some scale on some 1g glass jugs that I let soak and some evaporated out, but I think I also had some stick to the neck when I poured the FoxyCleen in there...

Do you have hard water? That's usually a symptom of hard water.

Latest posts

Back