Fairly newbie...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myvalk

Reaction score
Hi All.
I've done a few batches of....don't laugh.....Mr.Beer, and want to move on to big boy brewing. can you point me in the right direction without breaking the bank. Thanks in advance.

I'm starting brand new. Need everything.
I like porter and stout and ale if that helps.

How diy inclined are you? How involved are you wanting/willing to get in the process?

What's your budget?

I would recommend going with a BIAB setup if you are just starting. Jump right into all grain with minimal equipment. If that doesn't appeal to you look into extract/partial mash brewing. Personally I wouldn't go with a full 3 tier setup until you know you really enjoy brewing and are willing to drop the money on it.

2nd the biab. 10 gal kettle, bag, and a wort chiller go a long way.

How big of a batch do you want to do? 1 gallon, 3 gallons, 5 gallons?

Starting with a BIAB setup isn't a bad idea, but you could also start out with extract and steeping grains without much equipment.

basically get a kettle that can grow with you. if you want to do 5 gallon batches get a 8-10 gallon kettle.

Check out starter kits at your local Homebrew store or online. The basic kits come with everything you will need to get started then add additional things as needed.

Hi All.
I've done a few batches of....don't laugh.....Mr.Beer, and want to move on to big boy brewing. can you point me in the right direction without breaking the bank. Thanks in advance.

I started with 5 gal kits years ago, and when I stepped back into it 2 years ago, I did a few kits to get me up and running while I put my all grain set up together. One tip, don't kid yourself, this hobby will will constantly make you want to upgrade and add stuff constantly. So if you going to do it, and you want to go straight to AG, first purchase would be a good kettle and get at least a 15 gal. That will give you plenty of options and the ability to expand and have room for errors. And depending on if you want to go brew in a bag or mash and lauter, will determine what other equipment you will need. Most of all, research the heck out of all options before you commit!

Good luck, and know you can gets lots of help here!

AJ

I would do 2.5G BIAB brewing. Gives you chances to try lots of beers, easy to buy equipment.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

I would say partial mash brewing and/or extract is maybe the best way to start. Porters are extremely forgiving styles and fairly versatile, so you inadvertently chosen a great style of beer to start with! You'll need some kind of fermentation vessel, a kettle of sorts to cook everything, and few extras. Go to your local homebrew store, if applicable, and they should be able to steer you in the right direction. Also, it's probably worth mentioning if you're just starting out, look through John Palmer's "How to Brew". The 1st ed. is available for free online. Cheers!

I agree with Phil Ozzy Fer. I think starting simple is a good idea - I would choose extract over partial mash. And if you want to keep it simple, you can use a 4 gallon brew kettle and do a partial boil for a 5 gallon batch. This should get a strong boil on stovetop. Late extract addition works well with a partial boil and really keeps it simple. You don't even need a chiller - can chill the wort in a sink of ice water.

My wife got me a mr. Beerkit years ago and i smiled at her and laughed. She asked if she hot the wrong thing and i simply said kinda but this will work for my first couple but then i want a big boy set... a few months later she got me a BREWERSBEST kit. Ive been using the same kit for 2 years now and i couldnt be happier. I brew both allgrain and dme/lme batches. It all depends on how busy i am the week or month. Right now I am brewing a Russian Imperial Stout w/ Bourbon oak chips. This is all done with the brewers best kit...

As someone who has just transitioned to all grain brewing from years of extracts, I would have to recommend starting out with extract, then add in steeping grains when you feel comfortable with the process and have a couple good beers under your belt. Pure extract brewing is by far the cheapest option imho. I used a 4 gallon enamel brew pot for years and just did partial boils with make-up water and made some pretty good brews.

It's really up to you though, I can only speak from my experience and it depends on what kind of person you are, your budget, and how enthusiastically you dive into new hobbies!

Jumping straight into all grain seemed pretty overwhelming when I first started, and I think I would have gotten burned out by learning the additional variables associated with it. That being said, I'm also a bit obsessive with a new hobby so I would have tried to learn everything at once :D.

Welcome to the hobby!

Okay, so by extract, I guess you are referring to a can of stuff similar to what comes with Mr beer, correct?

And by the way, thank you everybody for your input, I really appreciate it.

Okay, so by extract, I guess you are referring to a can of stuff similar to what comes with Mr beer, correct?

Yes so there is 2 kinds of extract: LME and DME LME is the liquid syrupy malt that comes with the mr beer kits. DME is a dry malt powder. You can use either some recipes call for both as the russian imperial stout that i doing know.

I recommend learning and brewing id say 4-7 batches using the extracts and if you like it and want to learn more or create your own recipes, then slowly get into All-grain brewing. I normally do all grain but when im limited in time i do the extracts.

Cheers

I guess everyone's different... I say don't be scared of all grain, if you feel like doing an all grain recipe then do it! It just adds a couple steps to the process, it ain't no biggie. And with biab the only extra piece of equipment you need is the bag.

This biab seems like a good idea.
I'll start with can stuff first. Going to a store about an hour from my house this weekend....I hope. Lol.

This biab seems like a good idea.
I'll start with can stuff first. Going to a store about an hour from my house this weekend....I hope. Lol.

If you get interested in trying BIAB, this is a good place to start

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=233289

And something I was slightly unsure about the first time, and seems extremely obvious so it's often overlooked when explaining all-grain brewing: crush your grain! your LHBS (local homebrew supplier) should have a grain mill and will offer to do it for you. luckily mine did and I didn't end up trying to make 1/10th strength wort! :eek:

And just a couple general tips: temperature control is key during mash and fermentation, so read up on that a little bit beforehand. Don't worry about the details of yeast/water/cold crashing/equipment/etc until you get the basic process down, and relax! It's pretty hard to make undrinkable beer as long as everything is sanitary and you follow a recipe. Good luck! :mug:

Side point question. ..can you use previously used screw off beer bottles?

I've heard that you can, but you don't really want to. It it hard to get the bottle caps to seal properly on a twist off.

Just buy beers that you know are pop tops, drink, clean and reuse.

Side point question. ..can you use previously used screw off beer bottles?

Yes.. but its NOT recommended.. the chance of the cap not sealing right is incredibly high... just use poptop bottles or spend a bit of cash and get the fliptop style

For absolutely zero cost upgrade, do 2.5 gallon extract batches with your Mr. Beer kit.

Your LBK will work as a fermenter... Your plastic Mr. Beer bottles will work...

The Mr Beer extracts are pre-hopped liquid malt extract. HME vs the plain liquid malt extract LME. The process for a partial boil extract batch is almost the same as a Mr Beer batch. You just boil longer and add your own hops.

I have a quick question, how long after sanitizing equipment is it good for?

Yikes ! ! !
I just brewed a batch of American Porter (mr beer)
And I put in the yeast and waited 5 mins before mixing......only I forgot about it for about an hour. When I remembered I went to go look at it there was a huge fermentation colony on top. I proceeded to mix it vigorously anyway. What do you think the chances are of a good bro?

Back