Fairly new to brewing and slightly in over my head.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hans_shu_east_gluff

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this. I don't post on forums ever so even doing this I feel I may be in over my head.

But anyways, I've been brewing wine from kits for several years. I decided that I was tired of drinking kits and realized I didn't have a pallet for wine, or beer for that matter. My girlfriend bought me an all grain kit from http://brooklynbrewshop.com for Christmas this year. I loved making the mash and everything about doing it from scratch.

Now, probably only 3 months since making my first kit. I have a 50lb bag of barley in my basement. I've been malting my own grain and purchased hops online that just came in the mail today. I just realized I may be in over my head.

I've been kiln drying the malted barley to keep the colour as light as possible. I have a batch steeping now. I feel pretty confident in what I'm doing but looking up recipes is a bit daunting.

I consider myself a great cook and rarely use a recipe. If anyone is familiar with Chef Michael Smith they will know my style. I am curious if there is simple ratios for brewing beer. I'd like to make a tasty beer but I'd also like to recreate it if it was really good. I keep track of my brewing for that purpose.

I know this is probably too long and will get buried somewhere deep in the forum. But if anybody reads this, any advice would be great. Especially when it comes to malting. I am under the impression that roasting my kiln dried barley will yield the different types of malts needed. I am currently only making about 4L (1 gal) batches to perfect my technique. Thanks a lot in advanced.

Back