Failed Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb1984

Reaction score
I'm new to this and making my first batch of mead. It is a pretty basic recipe: 2.5 lb. of honey, 7 pints water, 3 tsp malic acid, 1.5 tsp tartaric acid, .25 tsp tannin, .75 tsp energizer, 1 crushed campden, and 1 package of yeast. I made the must and 24 hours later I pitched the yeast dry. After sprinkling in the yeast I stirred it in and covered my bucket. 48 hours later is still looks like very little is happening. Attached is a picture of what it looked like after almost 48 hours. Should there be more krausen at this point? The yeast used was Lavlin EC-1118. Should a re-pitch another pack of yeast?

Attachments

• PXL_20210118_203803915.jpg
    PXL_20210118_203803915.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
You may need to oxygenate your must, (stir really vigorously) did you add the campden and the yeast at the same time? if so, you will definitely need to re-pitch.

Your yeast produces krausen when it ferments in a solution with some protein. Barley mash has protein. You don't get protein with honey. That's why a beer has a head and wine might have bubbles but there is never a head. The only way to know what is happening is to measure the change in gravity (density) with your hydrometer. Some meads froth and some don't.

Back