F*cking Christmas stuff out already!?!?!?[Rant]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
As I was meandering through Tar-jay in a search for some cold medicine (Damned car show... Will post pics of Dogfish Head side trip soon) and a few other various sundries, I rounded the corner that usually has the BBQ stuff in it and low and behold, there it is...

Five aisles of red and green, merry, jolly, crap... IT JUST TURNED INTO OCTOBER TODAY!!!!!

At this rate, they should be up on July 5 next year.....

Please feel free to go back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I was in Lowe's a few weeks ago and saw they had it set up already.

I should have just walked out.

I was in Lowe's a few weeks ago and saw they had it set up already.

I should have just walked out.

Same here. They replaced the beloved outdoor furniture and BBQ section (I could just sit there for ever doing nothing but enjoying the AC), with friggin white artificial Christmas trees with red ornaments.

I had an uncontrollable need to pass gas (which I did) and walked away.

I'm of the firm opinion that they should just leave it up all year, like those Christmas Stores I see sometimes. Just to remind people that Christmas is a Righteous celebration of capitalism, and is no longer about jebus. :D They should even change the name to "Buymestuffmas". I could totally get behind that.

I would love to be able to never buy a 'winter holiday' present again. If i like you i'll either cook or brew you something.

Well, it's not really their fault. I just wanna know where all these people are that are buying christmas sh*t in September. THEY are the ones who need a skull-crushing. If nobody bought it, they wouldn't put it out.

Well, it's not really their fault. I just wanna know where all these people are that are buying christmas sh*t in September. THEY are the ones who need a skull-crushing. If nobody bought it, they wouldn't put it out.
I believe the opposite. If it wasn't out, people wouldn't buy it. After all, when you purchase something nobody asks if it's a Christmas gift. On the other hand, if you ask the salesperson where they keep the garland, that's a different story.

The dollar tree dollar store had christmas stuff out right along the back to school stuff
in late august.

WAY too early..

What I hate more than the Christmas stuff being out in the store early is the people who buy it and put up decorations, lights, and inflatable lawn crap the day after Halloween.

I heard a story on NPR that stores are doing this in the hopes of bumping their Xmas numbers. They are anticipating that this will be the worst spending season since 1991. Also, keep in mind that lots of stores get 80% of their profit in the 4th quarter, based on holiday sales.

I agree that it has gotten FAR out of control. Like some sort of social disease.

As Melana, I'm a cheapskate and tend toward the home-made gift. Also, I hit craft shows and festivals and buy things from artisians during the year. Takes a lot of pressure off and the money stays local, versus going straight to China. (Did I mention that I've been boycotting Walmart for some time now?)

Although I've been seeing the xmas crap in stores, to their credit, most places have been putting out Halloween stuff only starting this week. Then again, if they started putting out Halloween stuff in the same time frame as they do christmas stuff, we'd see it for sale sometime in the beginning of August!

Although I've been seeing the xmas crap in stores, to their credit, most places have been putting out Halloween stuff only starting this week. Then again, if they started putting out Halloween stuff in the same time frame as they do christmas stuff, we'd see it for sale sometime in the beginning of August!

Wally world here had their Halloween candy aisle finished by mid Sept!!! I couldn't believe my eyes:cross:

I will have to check their usual Christmas section.

What happened to Thanksgiving????? The often forgotten middle child of holidays...:(

Saw some Xcras junk up last year around Labor Day. Once a store does this, they are off my shopping list until February and any store that plays carols is an instant "out of there". The only exceptions are the local supermarket & pharmacy. Too far to drive to the next ones.

My local had Halloween candy on sale (as in reduced prices) last month!

As I was meandering through Tar-jay in a search for some cold medicine (Damned car show... Will post pics of Dogfish Head side trip soon) and a few other various sundries, I rounded the corner that usually has the BBQ stuff in it and low and behold, there it is...

Five aisles of red and green, merry, jolly, crap... IT JUST TURNED INTO OCTOBER TODAY!!!!!

At this rate, they should be up on July 5 next year.....

Please feel free to go back to your regularly scheduled programming...

F' that f'in' crap. Skipping over the best damn season of the entire year is a travesty. I can't stand the fact that they forget about Thanksgiving all together.

Hmm. Thanksgiving. All you need is food and maybe some decorations. Problem is, food rots.
Halloween. You need candy, and costumes, and decorations. The earlier they start selling candy, the more they sell. Many people "sample" the candy they buy for trick or treat. Before they know it, half is gone.
Christmas. Studies have shown, the earlier they put up the displays, the more they sell.
Q: What's the scariest thing in stores you see this time of year?
A: Christmas decorations.

PS. Santa Claus is coming to town, and he's coming FOR YOU!!!

Saw some Xcras junk up last year around Labor Day. Once a store does this, they are off my shopping list until February and any store that plays carols is an instant "out of there". The only exceptions are the local supermarket & pharmacy. Too far to drive to the next ones.

My local had Halloween candy on sale (as in reduced prices) last month!

I worked seasonal at the local Best Buy a few years back.

I had every note of their trans-Siberian orchestra CD memorized by the end of the first week. :mad:

Studies have shown, the earlier they put up the displays, the more they sell.

Why would they want to do that? Are you saying that stores are actually in business to make money!!! What a travesty!!!

Wal-Mart stated that their studies show that people are starting Christmas shopping earlier to spread out their spending.....

Why would they want to do that? Are you saying that stores are actually in business to make money!!! What a travesty!!!

Wal-Mart stated that their studies show that people are starting Christmas shopping earlier to spread out their spending.....

Makes perfect sense when it comes to gifts and such, buy when you can afford it or when sales pop up.

Not really sure why you'd be Christmas decorations in advance though (unless it's clearance the days after xmas). Then again, I'm not much of a "decorator" so I don't buy this junk at all.

Then again, I'm not much of a "decorator" so I don't buy this junk at all.

+1 All you need is 1) one string of white lights, 2) a pine-scented Yankee candle, and 3) a mini (or full-sized, depending on how full of beans you are!) leg lamp from A Christmas Story. Happy holidays.
apartment.jpg

+1 All you need is 1) one string of white lights, 2) a pine-scented Yankee candle, and 3) a mini (or full-sized, depending on how full of beans you are!) leg lamp from A Christmas Story. Happy holidays.
apartment.jpg
Call my wife, please. We have nine, yes 9, Rubbermaids full of Christmas decorations in the attic. I must admit, the house looks great. But you know who is taking those things down and putting them back up in the attic.

Okay, just to play devil's advocate here, but speaking as someone who has worked in retail management here are a few things to consider:

1) They would not put it out if people didn't buy it. It takes up valuable floor space so if it wouldn't sell in October they would not put it out, they would use the space to display something that would sell.

2) Retail ops want to be sold out of Christmas merchandise by early December, all that Christmas stuff sitting on the shelves on 12/24 is a huge loss of potential profit since it will have to be sold at significantly reduced prices.

3) Many retail ops make 1/4 to 1/3 of their annual sales between October 1 and Christmas.

So while I agree that it is incredible annoying to go into stores and see Christmas merch already taking up space, there are business reasons for it.

Call my wife, please. We have nine, yes 9, Rubbermaids full of Christmas decorations in the attic. I must admit, the house looks great. But you know who is taking those things down and putting them back up in the attic.

Yup. I'll be up on the ladder hanging lights the day after Thanksgiving.

:mad:

Yup. I'll be up on the ladder hanging lights the day after Thanksgiving.

:mad:

Fortunately, we don't have many lights and the ones we do have are white. I hate the colored ones. My house ain't 7-Eleven.

She has everything else, right down to dinner ware that replaces the usual stuff. Yup, we change plates and coffee mugs at Christmas. :D

Fortunately, we don't have many lights and the ones we do have are white. I hate the colored ones. My house ain't 7-Eleven.

She has everything else, right down to dinner ware that replaces the usual stuff. Yup, we change plates and coffee mugs at Christmas. :D

We've got a friend like that, except she's a freak for Halloween. At least Christmas you can build up to, Halloween goes zing and it's gone. I can't imagine investing $$$ in Frankenstein punch bowls, plates, cups, curtains, lawn paraphenalia, etc for one day. Christmas is at least a mecha-holiday of weeks.

Your house sounds like the kind I like to visit for Christmas parties (all beautifully decorated), and then breathe a sigh of relief that I don't have to clean any of it up!

We've got a friend like that, except she's a freak for Halloween. At least Christmas you can build up to, Halloween goes zing and it's gone. I can't imagine investing $$$ in Frankenstein punch bowls, plates, cups, curtains, lawn paraphenalia, etc for one day. Christmas is at least a mecha-holiday of weeks.

Your house sounds like the kind I like to visit for Christmas parties (all beautifully decorated), and then breathe a sigh of relief that I don't have to clean any of it up!
She does the cleaning, fortunately. I just do the manual labor and reach the high stuff, which means anything above 6 feet (she's short).

She has stuff like this for every season. Spring the ceramic bunnies come out. Summer it's all beach stuff. Fall (she did this last night) all sorts of cornucopias, Indian corn, corn stalk at the mailbox, mums everywhere. If I happen to go on a trip on Sept. 20 and come back on Sept. 23, the season in my house has changed drastically.

She has stuff like this for every season.

That actually sounds really awesome (minus the hauling of Rubbermaids). That's cool that she takes so much time and effort to make your house look nice and seasonally inviting.

This is likely to be the most abysmal holiday season for retail businesses in many years with the economy soon to be in full scale meltdown. (Or isn't it already?) I imagine businesses want to scrape up what money they can before TSHTF. (Or did it already?)

Latest posts

Back