EZ Water Calculator issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaffeenjunkie

Reaction score
I use R/O water with 4ppm NA for my water.

Grain bill
5 lbs Two Row Pale Malt
1 lbs Crystal 40
1 lbs Cara Pils
1 lbs Honey malt

8.6 gal mash water / no sparge (BIAB)
Without any additions EZ Water pegs my pH at 4.78
Add;
2 gm Gypsum
5 gm Calc Chloride
2 gm Gypsum

EZ Water pegs my pH at 4.67

In order to get my pH to 5.4 EZ water recommends 16gm of baking soda.

I hesitantly used half when I went to brew and even then was highly skeptical. You can certainly guess what happened. pH came in around 8.
I used some lactic acid to bring it down and added some time to my mash.
I still got my boil gravity and OG to come out fine and no doubt I will have beer in the end.

I just want to understand why EZ would ask for such a large addition of baking soda. Perhaps the formula in the spreadsheet got messed up somehow?

Something is definitely amiss here. Spreadsheets can get screwed up if cells with formulas aren't protected but the usual result of such is a completely unreasonable answer. I guess you could try downloading another copy and running the numbers again. If you get the same answer then the focus shifts to you misinterpreting something or having a half pound of sauermalz in there that you aren't aware of. There is no way the grist you specify can give you a pH that low with RO water.

Something is definitely amiss here. Spreadsheets can get screwed up if cells with formulas aren't protected but the usual result of such is a completely unreasonable answer. I guess you could try downloading another copy and running the numbers again. If you get the same answer then the focus shifts to you misinterpreting something or having a half pound of sauermalz in there that you aren't aware of. There is no way the grist you specify can give you a pH that low with RO water.

Thank you AJ. I will download EZ again. I wish it were simple as having a half pound of sauermalz but in this case, none were used.

Back