ez cap bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
I'm having a bit.. of a time with these bottles not sealing properly. Flat beer. Is there a trick?
Thanks

Sorry for the obvious question, it was just the first thing that came to mind. To continue the trend, how do you know they aren't sealing properly? Are you losing carbonation over time, is the cap loose even after fastening the bale?

I just put all the periods because my post was too short. didn't mean anything by it.

I dip the washer in the hot water from boiling my caps, fill, and bottle. Three weeks later, the bottles I capped are carbed, the ez caps are flat, three weeks after that they are still flat.

The caps seem tight.

How much sugar should I put into these one liter bottles to try and carb them again? Do you think that is wise?

Thanks

I had that problem when I first got those bottles as well. I started using warm (not hot) water instead of cold tap water to create my sanitizer. It makes the gasket malleable and I've not had a single flat bottle since. If your sanitizer requires rinsing make sure you also use warm water instead of cold or you'll just stiffen it up again.

I think the key is you need to let them sit in the warm water so they have time to soften. I use diversol to sanitize my caps and I like to leave it sitting for 15-20 minutes before rinsing. Seems to do the trick.

Back