Eye Brow Piercing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
Ok, Here's what's up. My sixteen year old daughter recently had it done. No biggy I guess. But now she's talking about getting a sleeve tattoo, which I'm seriously trying to discourage. So me, in my infinite wisdom said,"well whatever you get done, I'm doing it too, in fact, I think I'll get my brow pierced tomorrow while you're at school". At which point she said" Yeah, sure you will" and my 20 year old daughter said, "I dare you"
So, should I do it? or should I wimp out? Now, keep in mind, I'm 51 years old, but I'm thinking, I don't have a hair on my ass if I don't go ahead and do it. I already called and there's a 1 PM spot open, and I've got nothing better to do.

Not only do I think you should do it, I think you should get a sleeve tattoo as well.

Do it. It's perfect.

I'm not very familiar with the law regarding tattoos, but, at a minimum, don't most shops require parental consent for anyone under the age of 18?

Yeah, I don't think she can get a tatt without parental consent at age 16.

You GOTTA do the eyebrow pierce at this point. Have it done when she gets home, which proves you are a man of your word, and here's the icing on the cake:

Pull out one of her baby pics...preferably one where she's naked, like in the tub or something incredibly cute. Do a quick online search for tattoo artists who specialize in portraits and get that info ready, too. Act all excited, like this is a great idea that she inspired...that you will get a sleeve tatt of her as a little girl, all round-assed and rosy-cheeked.

(I ain't a child psychiatrist for nuttin')

let us know the result!

Bedlam said:
Yeah, I don't think she can get a tatt without parental consent at age 16.

You GOTTA do the eyebrow pierce at this point. Have it done when she gets home, which proves you are a man of your word, and here's the icing on the cake:

Pull out one of her baby pics...preferably one where she's naked, like in the tub or something incredibly cute. Do a quick online search for tattoo artists who specialize in portraits and get that info ready, too. Act all excited, like this is a great idea that she inspired...that you will get a sleeve tatt of her as a little girl, all round-assed and rosy-cheeked.

(I ain't a child psychiatrist for nuttin')

let us know the result!

That's freaking great! I love it! BTW, I also think you should do the piercing, it'll come off anyway. Don't let them win!

Another reason why I could never have a daughter. She would be locked in the house until she changed her mind.

Definitely get the eyebrow pierced! My wife had hers pierced and stopped wearing it about 6 years ago. You really can't see the scar at all -- doesn't look muck different than the chicken pox scar on my eyebrow. I agree that at this point you don't have much of a choice.

Get both pierced, you kept your word and even went above and beyond to show your integrity.

I don't mind piercings, you can always take them out and more than likely, the scar will heal. I've got my tongue pierced and it freaks people out when they see it. I'm totally not the type people associate with having something like that and that's the best part.

Yet another vote for doing it. If you don't, then they'll walk all over you. +1 on Bedlam's idea as well, which is totally evil and devious! I'll bet if you even explain the story of why you're doing it to the piercer you'll get a discount.

Yup, gotta do it.
Do NOT let them percieve you as weak. I'm the father of a 16 yr old girl and I speak from experience!

you should tell her the piercing is cool... she'll freak out no doubt. tell her to get a crazy tat as well. if you support the rebellion, it prolly sullies the uprising. :)

edit: and a real man would get the prince albert... :OP

Hagen said:
Yup, gotta do it.
Do NOT let them percieve you as weak. I'm the father of a 16 yr old girl and I speak from experience!

Coming on as not weak, is riping it from her eyebrow. :)

You got to do it man. You threw it out there and you got called out on it. You'll gain a little respect from the kids but more importantly it shows some integrity and follow through. So then you can tell her if she comes home with a sleeve you are going to beat her within an inch of her life. ;)

She can't get a tattoo without your permission. I have two half sleeves and I can tell you this...a good tattoo artist charges at least $100 an hour so a sleeve will be will be very expensive, that may be a deterrent enough.

Do the eyebrow! Had both of mine at one point, within a year of taking them out, you couldn't tell they were ever there. Don't worry, she can't afford a sleeve. Take her around to some tat shops, show her you like and appreciate the art. She'll either think they aren't so cool anymore (dad likes it), or at least be educated enough not to get some cheap backroom tat from someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
16 is awful young to decide on having something forever. I figure I have at least another 50 years, why fill up the canvas so early?

Do it! you can't tell at all that I used to have mine done, and it's only been a few years. You will have to leave it in for a few weeks at work though. The tatt on the other hand, well that's up to you, but let's just say that I made a lot of decisions at 16 that I'm VERY glad I don't have to be reminded of every day.

Find pictures of the oldest, nastiest women with tattoos all over their body ... just to let her know how permanent permanent really is.

DaveyBoy said:
Find pictures of the oldest, nastiest women with tattoos all over their body ... just to let her know how permanent permanent really is.
pierceface.jpg

At this rate you might wind up with a hello kitty full sleeve, nipple rings and a cute belly button piercing before the end of summer.

Cheers!

MikeFlynn74 said:
get your nipples done and never wear a shirt around her
*chuckles*

I had my nips pierced about 7-8 years ago, and my daughter could care less. Whenever my mom comes around for a visit, though, good times are had by me...My mom hates 'em, so whenever she's irritates me, or overstays her welcome, I just whip the shirt off, and she's usually gone pretty quickly.

I vote for the eyebrow piercing, simply because you said you would. You can't let the kids get the upper hand, even if it means a little physical discomfort.

Ask em if they can install some sort of bottle opener instead of a normal eyebrow ring or barbell. That would be awesome.

You gotta do the eyebrow. I had my eyebrow done when I was in college and once you take the piercing out your eyebrow will heal quickly and it shouldn't leave any kind of scar so it's really no biggie.

As for the tattoo, I don't think she can get one without parental consent until she is 18; however, if she really wants one, you're not going to dissuade her. Maybe suggest she get something smaller before taking on a whole sleeve though.

Minus the ears on a woman I absolutely abhor piercings, that's just me. I am old school in that respect. But you did call her out on it and she also called your bluff, even got the younger one in on it.

One of two things can happen here;

- They will see you as cool, deepening their respect for you therfor4 strengthening your resolve with them.

or

- It'll totally backfire and they will take it as tho' the obscure vanities are okay with you.

Some of this may actually be written from my own biased perspective.

And post a pic so we can all see what an old dude with eyebrow piercing looks like.

All fun about your age aside - I say do it - you might even like it.

Sadly, my job prevents me from having facial hair, piercings, or visible tattoos (corporate policy) or I'd be all over that like white on rice.

jezter6 said:
The other 99% being "Dad looks like a tard with this" ??? :p

Yeah..I've noticed when the kids are really young, they think that kinda thing is cool. Once they get to that age where they don't even like being seen with you (and older), this just digs that hole deeper :cross: Course, I don't know any of the people involved.

I read a fantastic article once about a similar situation. This guy's 17 year old daughter decided to get a lip piercing. No big deal. Later that week, he got some letters from his neighbors saying that she was an "eyesore" and offended the sensibilities of the neighborhood.

As a response, this 65 year old father went out and got a ton of piercings and tattoos, and is now one of the most tattooed older men in the country.

Screw that. Just go right for the Prince Albert! The only problem I foresee there is that you'd go to jail for showing it to your daughter. Hmm....

dblvsn said:
So?? You pierced yet?

Nope! But before the booing starts, let me just say that I appreciate all your encouraging remarks. I was really gonna do it, just on principle alone, but my wife explained to me how I shouldn't do anything simply on a dare from my kids or anyone else, especially if I didn't really want to do it to begin with. She then went on to explain how if I enjoyed my current sex life, then I had better seriously reconsider my decision. :D
OK, Now you can let me have it!

Back