Extremely Bitter Rye pale ale...help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About 4 weeks ago I started a brewer's best rye pale ale. Everything went well and it's been in the primary for about 4 weeks now. I dry hopped with 2oz of cascade and 1oz of simcoe pellets. I'm debating on leaving it in the primary for another couple of weeks because it's still pretty cloudy. I just tried it and it's extremely bitter. I assumed it was going to be a pretty bitter beer but it's way more bitter than I imagined it to be. There's still a lot of the hop residue sitting on top of the beer is this normal? Also if I let it sit another week or two, then bottle / condition for 2 to 3 more weeks will the bitterness subside and allow a little of the rye and other flavors show?

Its stil young, hoppy-ness fades out alot after only 3 weeks in the bottle, also could the aroma, that would be stong at this point be misinterpreted as "percieved" bitterness?

Anyrate its too early.

The hop matter floating on top usually drops out (for me) and whatever is left is caught on the tea bag i tie over the tip of my siphon ;) I dont secondary.

I used the secondary the first few batches I brewed but pretty much found it pointless. The hop residue usually drops for me as well. It's got a great aroma, but it's just really bitter. I definitely think you're right about it being pretty early. I guess I'll let it sit for another week or so and then bottle.

Back