Extreme overcarbonation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aktnine

Reaction score
My first fermentation is getting a lot of carbonation. The kombucha is fairly fizzy when I go to bottle. When I go to try burp the bottle after only 2 days of 2nd ferment I get mount vesuvius. It's strange because it's so fizzy and erupting but if I were to pour into a glass it is still quite flat until at least day 5 or 6. I can never share any with friends and family though because if you were to open it not expecting, you would have booch on your ceiling. Anyone know why I could be getting such extreme carbonation and why I am getting so much carbonation in first ferment? Cheers

Attachments

• 20220218_122603.jpg
    20220218_122603.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 2
Most homebrew kombucha recipes have too much sugar. The average is 1 cup per gallon. That leaves a lot of residual sugar that goes into the bottle.

The secret is to use 20% very acidic starter with 2.7-2.9 pH, and cut the sugar by half.

Use max 3 oz of fruit juice in a 16oz bottle for F2.

Carbonation takes time. CO2 needs to dissolve into the liquid and that takes time. Also, co2 dissolves into liquid better when it's colder. Do 1 week in a dark closet at room temp, then a week in the fridge.

Back