Extreme heat tolerant yeast strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger988

Reaction score
Bare with me here, I know I have hardly no details, hopefully someone else remembers this though and can help me out...

Read a story a year or two back about someone in Europe (I want to say Holland, but I may be making that up.) Had isolated a yeast strain that was performing remarkably well at crazy high temperatures (90*+) They were shipping some samples around to folks over here to play with and I never heard anything about it again.

I'd like to know if there's anyway to land some of this to play around with still, if anyone happens to have any clue as to what I'm talking about I'd love the info, I've searched high and low with no luck.

Thanks

Could it be Kveik yeast. Farmhouse yeast strain with a range of 70°F to 100°F?

edit: Sigmund's Voss Kveik. Sold by Yeast Bay.
Also Omega Yeast Voss Kveik.

One of the old methods of determining if a yeast is a lager yeast or an ale yeast was to heat it to 37 degrees C. for some pre-determined period of time. If it survives this torture and subsequently continues to thrive it is an ale yeast strain. If not, it is a lager strain.

I'm not at all endorsing the validity of this old method, I'm merely tossing it out there for pondering, as by this account, there must be many yeasts that can survive at roughly 99 degrees F..

I just used Mangrove Jack's Abbey yeast. It isn't happy until at least 83*. I fermented a Leffe clone and it went into the mid/high 80's. Best Belgian I've ever made.

Could it be Mangrove Jacks Work Horse yeast? That is good up to 90F. I use it during the hottest part of our summer here in the UK (not that it gets that hot here in London. The only difference between summer and winter is the rain gets a bit warmer) MJ no longer does it but (at least here in the UK) there's online HB shops that still have it in stock

Hothead definitely can take the heat. Craziest thing is that theres almost no difference between a room temp ferment and one at 85f other than speed. Not really any difference i could tell.

One of the old methods of determining if a yeast is a lager yeast or an ale yeast was to heat it to 37 degrees C. for some pre-determined period of time. If it survives this torture and subsequently continues to thrive it is an ale yeast strain. If not, it is a lager strain.

I'm not at all endorsing the validity of this old method, I'm merely tossing it out there for pondering, as by this account, there must be many yeasts that can survive at roughly 99 degrees F..

Survive? Yes. But I think the unique thing about Lars' HotHead yeast is that produces a clean beer at those high temperatures. Sure, some Belgian strains go bonkers above 80F, but they have all sorts of fun flavors at those temps.

Survive? Yes. But I think the unique thing about Lars' HotHead yeast is that produces a clean beer at those high temperatures. Sure, some Belgian strains go bonkers above 80F, but they have all sorts of fun flavors at those temps.

Where does one find (procure) this yeast?

Funny seeing this thread pop up this weekend. Lance from Omega Yeast Labs was at my local homebrew club's competition yesterday talking about this strain (HotHead) and some other interesting ones that they're looking to bring to homebrewers soon.

Wow, sparked a bit of interest I see. The Sigmund Voss is definitely it. Thanks everybody!

I just used the Sigmund's Voss Kveik for a saison-like beer. I fermented in a corny keg in my garage in the heat of summer (it was about 100 outside every day during that stretch). Tasting the beer now, it's actually much cleaner than I had intended for it to be. Has anyone else had this experience with this strain?

I just used the Sigmund's Voss Kveik for a saison-like beer. I fermented in a corny keg in my garage in the heat of summer (it was about 100 outside every day during that stretch). Tasting the beer now, it's actually much cleaner than I had intended for it to be. Has anyone else had this experience with this strain?

I believe this yeast in its "original" form actually has three different strains in it. But at the lab they isolated out just one of them. AFAIK you'd get more flavors from it in it's original form, but then you'd have to get it from some norwegians which has it in the "three-strain-version", not the omega labs version. You could also try to get the "Hornindals-kveik" which I believe has 8 strains, and some bugs in it..

Anyhow. How people did it in Norway was quite different, some just pitched it, and some measured the temp with their arm, if it was body-warm it was pitching time. This is in the old days.. Try pitching it at "body-temperature", and let it sink. That's atleast how they used to do it to get those esters out. You should get some orange-marmelade, honey, etc etc.. At elevated temperatures. People often bottle them after around three-four days.

See if you can google translate this:

https://forum.norbrygg.no/threads/kveik-fra-voss-erfaringer.29610/

I made two beers using Omega Hothead Ale Yeast, which is heat tolerant.

I made a 4.3% Session IPA and a 6.8% Rye Ale, both fermented at around 79F. They taste very good. The Session beer has a subtle, very pleasent kind of citrusy flavour, without being sour or unpleasent.

I detect no off-flavours. It is a strain I would use again.

I also used WLP644, which is also a gorgeous yeast with pretty high heat tolerance.

I believe this yeast in its "original" form actually has three different strains in it. But at the lab they isolated out just one of them. AFAIK you'd get more flavors from it in it's original form, but then you'd have to get it from some norwegians which has it in the "three-strain-version", not the omega labs version. You could also try to get the "Hornindals-kveik" which I believe has 8 strains, and some bugs in it..

Anyhow. How people did it in Norway was quite different, some just pitched it, and some measured the temp with their arm, if it was body-warm it was pitching time. This is in the old days.. Try pitching it at "body-temperature", and let it sink. That's atleast how they used to do it to get those esters out. You should get some orange-marmelade, honey, etc etc.. At elevated temperatures. People often bottle them after around three-four days.

See if you can google translate this:

https://forum.norbrygg.no/threads/kveik-fra-voss-erfaringer.29610/

The wort was around mid-90s when I pitched it so it was right around body temperature. There might be some very subtle esters present, but they're definitely not at the forefront of this beer, which is what I was hoping to get by pitching and fermenting so warm. I'll have to keep playing with this yeast maybe to try and get those esters to come out more.

You said they are often bottled pretty quickly, so maybe I just waited too long to get it carbed up and it lost a lot of these flavors?

The wort was around mid-90s when I pitched it so it was right around body temperature. There might be some very subtle esters present, but they're definitely not at the forefront of this beer, which is what I was hoping to get by pitching and fermenting so warm. I'll have to keep playing with this yeast maybe to try and get those esters to come out more.

You said they are often bottled pretty quickly, so maybe I just waited too long to get it carbed up and it lost a lot of these flavors?

From experience, the two beers I made were ready and reached FG after 7 days. I left them 7 days more, the last 4 days were dry hopping. Then bottled and one week after were ready to drink. ( carbonated fast at around 77F )

Back