Extracts in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i8beer

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on using extracts for additional flavor in the cider after fermentation is complete? I'm thinking a tad of apple extract and some cinnamon extract. Maybe even vanilla too. What would be the amounts needed for a 5 gallon batch? Anyone done this before?

What would be the amounts needed for a 5 gallon batch?

I've had some experience, stick with the ones that are pure extract, or pure concentrate stay away from the ones that a small bottle of who knows what . A good example is blueberry. You can by blueberry extract, made in a lab from who knows what, and you can buy pure blueberry concentrate at the health food store. Although expensive, no comparison is flavor. And it's real. Sometimes those extracts if its not pure, leave a fake candy taste.

I use vanilla at bottling in many of my batches, I find it adds a nice warmth that compliments apple well. Just the other day I snagged some elderflower syrup that I plan to use soon too.

If you're carbonating, you can get apple taste at bottling by adding a some frozen concentrate. This also works if you AREN'T carbonating, but it will sweeten your cider in that case.

I have a batch of Hard Cider chugging along right now and I have about 2 weeks left before I keg it. I ordered some Vannila, Cinnamon and Apple Pure extracts that I want to try. I will also be back sweetening this also with canned concentrate because I am going to let it fully finish.

After searching for extracts online the possibilities are endless with whats available for flavoring.

Does anyone know the amount to use of these extracts per gallon?

Thanks for the info

Almost forgot, do I need to add Camden Tablets to the batch when Kegging?

Back