Extract without yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I plan on brewing my first extract kit this weekend. What's the highest gravity kit I can reasonably expect to brew well without doing a yeast starter? The kit will be from one of the big guys like Midwest or Northern.

Whether or not you need a yeast starter for any beer depends upon the viability of the yeast. The older the yeast is the less viable it is.

I would go up to an estimated OG of 1.052 with two week old liquid yeast without a starter. You may not have time to make a yeast starter, but you could use rehydrated dry yeast instead.

I'm looking at a kit like Ferocious at Midwest. Is it realistic to think I can hit 6.5% abv with just the kit and no starter? This will be my first brew so I don't want to get overly complicated first the first time. This brew will be a huge learning experience but I'd like to end up with 6%+ if possible.

Is it liquid or dry yeast?? If liquid then make at least a small starter in a quart jar and swirl it around occasionally for a day. You don't need a stirplate or anything fancy. If it's dry yeast then don't make a starter, re-hydrate it.

Latest posts

Back