Extract Stout Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsocc

Reaction score
This is an extract question that involves steeping the grains.

I started making this stout based off a recipe I found in the Joy of Homebrewing. Unfortunately, swmbo picked up my last grain bag thinking it was her cheese cloth and used it to make cheese (woops). I just threw the grains in sans cloth and let it steep at 155 degF for 30 minutes. I then cranked the heat to get it to a rolling boil and proceeded 'business as usual' with the grains left in to boil. I strained them out at the end using this giant (sterile) strainer that I have. I figured since its a stout it shouldn't be that big a deal.

Anyway - did I bone myself by boiling the grains? Also - I was drunk and didn't add the malto dextrin that I had until the last 30 minutes of the boil (75 min boil). Will this also change the flavor of my beer? I figured this also wouldn't matter very much just so long as its properly dissolved seeing as its a non-fermentable sugar.

You're not supposed to boil grains because it sets in the tannins which will make the brew astringent and bitter.

IMO your brew is probably a loss, but let it ferment out and see what happens.

Malto Dextrin can be added anytime up to bottling...

I did the same thing with the Malto Dextrin once. It turned out fine.

NEVER BOIL THE GRAINS!!!!

However, never dump the beer either. Let it ferment. It might be good.

I gotta save this brew. I'm going to give it a taste when its done in the primary on wednesday. If it taste really really astringent (more so than the other beers I've made at this stage) I am still going to send it to secondary to clear for week or two.

I will save this brew by dumping in a bottle of baileys and serving it to my alcoholic friends.

Latest posts

Back