extract question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
On my first kit I did a couple weeks ago it said my SG should be around 1.044 to 1.050
It was it was at 1.046.

What can you do to your extract kits to hit the higher and lower ends of the SG? Steep grains longer or less? Boil longer? FOr an extract kit like this how can you try and hit the higher or lower end?

I would think the biggest factor would be the amount of water. If you were a little over 5 gal that would dilute the solution and lower the gravity, if you were under 5 gal it would be a higher gravity. Also when using the LME some of the extract sticks to the sides of the can, so if you got every last little bit out you might hit the high end of the Gravity, whereas if you left some of the syrup on the sides the gravity would be lower.

david_42 said:
5 gallons = 1.050 5.5 gallons = 1.046 Either way, you lose some to the trub.

I topped off right to 5 gallons or very close to it and I was at 1.046,
Yeah I lost a few beers in the tub and in my secondary right now I am just below the 5 gallons mark probably missing about 3 or 4 beers I would think.
Just wondering for next extract kit I buy if I go to 5.5 gallons or what would I need to add to the recipe? Because if I am on the low end of the SG and then add to 5.5 I will be even lower

Why the concern about hitting the high end of the gravity range? A few gravity points either way isn't really going to have much impact on your beer.

All the recipes are calibrated for 5 gallons so if hitting that OG is your over-riding concern, just settle for losing a few beers. You could also invest in brewing software and design your own recipes based on a 5.5gallon batch.

If you're on the low end you can keep some dry malt extract around to add to your wort. Corn sugar or even cane sugar works as well, but I wouldn't reccomend using it as it can have a negative effect on your final product if too much is used. On the high end simply add more water, but I wouldn't really be concerned either way as long as your in the range. If your not on the range it says for the kit then you might have done something wrong. Even that doesn't neccesarily mean the beer will be bad though. My advice don't worry about it, but if it bothers you I gave you some solutions.

TheJadedDog said:
Why the concern about hitting the high end of the gravity range? A few gravity points either way isn't really going to have much impact on your beer.

All the recipes are calibrated for 5 gallons so if hitting that OG is your over-riding concern, just settle for losing a few beers. You could also invest in brewing software and design your own recipes based on a 5.5gallon batch.

Im not really concerned about hitting it as long as it is in the range, was just wondering on what the overiding effects are on it
thanks for all your replies

Back