Extract partial sour "mash" experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rootski

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot and became intrigued by sour mashes, so last night I began a partial sour "mash" (pardon the improper use of the term) as an extract. I enjoy sour beers and fully expect my experiment to turn out only very mildly sour and lacking in complexity since I am keeping things relatively simple. Please chime in with any recommendations for improvement! I have limited brewing equipment right now and didn't want to dedicate any carboys or hoses to sour beers only. Here's what I've done up until this point:

-On the stovetop I boiled 1 gallon of distilled water
-Added 1 lb Bavarian Wheat DME and about 1/3 lb Pilsner Light DME
-I brought it back to a boil and boiled while I sanitized a 1 gallon glass jug and funnel and drank some homebrew.
-I pre-heated my glass jug before pouring in the hot wort and making a big mess of my countertop.
-I let the wort cool to my target temperature of 120 degrees. At that point I put the jug in my 5 gallon water cooler and filled around the jug with hot tap water (122 degrees measured straight out of the tap).
-I added as much 2-row uncrushed as I could before the jug overflowed. It was not a lot of grains, probably a handful, about 1/2 cup. They initially floated towards the surface.
-I covered the jug with plastic wrap and pushed it down into the wort so there was not much oxygen, however when I dumped the wort into the jug, there was lots of splashing so hopefully I didn't cause myself problems.
-I topped off the water around the jug and covered my cooler. The water temperature was about 118 degrees at 9pm last night.

-This morning at 7am I opened the cooler. There was not a strong smell, but definitely a little something. It did not smell bad. The grains had released some trapped air and sunk to the bottom. I had to push the plastic wrap down further to force the air out of the jug. The water temp had fallen to about 105 overnight. I drained the water and added new hot water. My target is to keep the temp between 105-120, but definitely between 90-130. I plan to brew This Sunday afternoon. Here's a summary of my recipe:

5 gallon batch full boil

Steeping Grains:
0.75 lbs Belgian Cara 45
0.75 lbs Special B
0.125 lbs Debittered Black Malt

Total fermentables including the partial sour mash:
6 lbs Pilsen LME
1 lb Bavarian Wheat DME (in sour mash)
1 lb Pilsner Light DME (1/3 in sour mash)

Hops:
1 oz Tradition for 60 minutes

Yeast:
US-05

This recipe is essentially NB's Oud Bruin kit plus the DME for the sour mash and without the bugs and super long fermentation (1-3 years). I plan to add the 1 gallon of sour "mash" prior to the hops addition and return it all to a boil unless someone here recommends that I do something else. Any thoughts on this from people with experience? I do have an opportunity to change something before Sunday. I'll post up how the brew day goes!

Here's a picture of what my setup looks like. Very basic. It has been difficult to keep it above 105 like I had hoped. In the mornings it has been about 98. When first opened it smells a bit like bread. Does anyone have experience with this and what it should smell like?

1408193344360.jpg

My understanding is as long as it doesn't smell like vomit your probably good. Although I believe your correct in thinking you want to keep it closer to 120 degrees but under 120. It will sour quickly between the 2nd-4th of the sour mash. Do you have a PH meter?

No I don't have a way of measuring PH right now. But if I did, what would I be targeting?

The mash will change sourness as it drops in PH. Some people like the flavor profile at different PH better. Every mash will be different so a PH meter will help you know when your mash is ready. Instead of timing it you can wait until your mash is at your ideal PH before adding to your boil. Also You can figure out how much to add to your boil to get your ideal PH. It really helps with consistency. You can use a sour mash to get your ph into the 5.2-5.4 range you want most beer in. You can also drop it down enough to give it a good twang. PH meter can help you figure out how much to add.

I wasn't able to get a PH meter for my brew day, but the beer is brewed and waiting for the yeast to do its business. The sour wort tasted kinda funny. I don't have a good way to describe it but acidic, warm, and unfermented. Generally not the best flavor ever. The full boil smelled great though!

Update! This beer fermented strong at between 67-69 degrees. It had developed some very large bubbles at about 2 weeks that were probably 1 1/2 inches around and scared me into thinking it was infected. I let it sit another week and they started to go away. Lots of yeast rafts remained. So at roughly 3 weeks in I took a gravity reading - 1.015 and did a taste test. I thought it tasted terrible, kind of vomitty if you will. I was pretty bummed and researched a lot about trying to fix it. I got some lactic acid and figured I'd try artificially souring it when I got around to bottling.

Fast forward to last night, 1 month after brew day. I had my acid ready and proceeded to prepare for bottling as usual. Gravity was still at 1.015, so good to go. The first thing I did was to taste it again, and this time the vomit flavor was virtually gone and what remained was a very slightly tart, red beer that had cleared up substantially since my gravity reading a week prior. I'm hopeful it continues to improve in the bottles. I did not add any acid since I liked the flavor as it was.

For a beer like this, next time I would scale back the Special B a little. It gave it a nice color, but the flavor hits you! I'll try to update how it tastes after a month or so in the bottle.

Another update.

I cracked open a bomber last night and it's getting really good. The intense special B flavor is melding with the rest of the flavors and allowing the tartness to come through. I'm going to have to hide a few bottles in the back of the closet for long term aging before they all disappear on me!

So your sour to non-sour ratio at boiling was 1/4? or closer to 1/5 for boil off? Im really interested in this idea as well, because I don't have the equipment to dedicate either.

Good question, I did one gallon of sour mash in a 5 gallon batch, but my boil started at 5.5 or 6 gallons.

Update on this beer since I'm drinking one now. I like it, although others that have tried it haven't been as excited about it. They are very over carbonated too so I'm worried about bottle bombs and have decided to drink these up. I'll leave some that I bottled in swing tops for a little longer term aging since I figure they are tougher bottles.

Back