Extract life after opening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesink

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm still very new to brewing, and recently brewed an IPA (2 weeks ago). I bought two bottles of extract from a local home brew shop. They were 6 lbs each, of course the recipe called for 5 lbs and 4 lbs, leaving me with some leftovers. They came in plastic containers, same as milk, and I just capped them and put them aside. Is there anything I can do with it? I'm assuming I shouldn't use it to brew another beer?

If you have freezer or fridge space, put it in there. You'll be boiling it after all. I don't see why it shouldn't keep until your primary is available again. But the sooner you use it, the better.

You can float a little vodka on the top keep it from molding but if you keep it in your fridge it should be good for a few weeks.

I've had opened extract sitting around for a year in my garage without visible signs of mold on the surface. I don't recommend that as a storage method, but I was fortunate with the one container. Another container opened around the same time did get moldy and I tossed it. I've also had opened extract in the refrigerator for upwards of a year without ill effect, but again I don't recommend it.

We had a very mild summer in 2009, so my garage probably got up to 80-85F inside for just a few weeks.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look at it tonight, but it's just been sitting on my kitchen counter for the past couple of weeks.

I don't recommend keeping opened LME at all. In the freezer, it might absorb some off flavours from other stuff. Also, hop aroma and flavour may be lost through the storing. Why didn't you just make a bigger batch with the extra extract?

Latest posts

Back