Extract kits in a can?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandog2500

Reaction score
Hello, just a couple questions. What are some brands of those extract kits that come in a can? They are usually around $20. I'm thinking they are a lesser quality beer than a partial mash kit or something similar. What is everyone's opinion on these kits? They are pretty inexpensive and it seems like they are made a lot faster.

Side note : why do some people hate brewers best kits?

Thanks!

Look up Coopers and Muntons pre-hopped kits. Are they lesser quality. Brewing beer is mostly dependent upon the skill and knowledge of the brewer.
Why do people hate Brewers Best. Everyone has there own personal opinions either based on fact or fallacy.

I remember listening to a podcast with Jamil Zainasheff when he was talking about mixing up one of those kits cold, fermenting it and then serving it to his friends. None of them said it was of any less quality than his other beers. They couldn't believe it was a liquid hopped extract kit that was mixed up cold.

I think his point was that with making sure everything was clean. Using a good yeast with a proper pitching rate and the ability to maintain appropriate fermentation temperatures. These pre-hopped liquid extract beer kits will make a decent product.

Awesome, I will get one of these and try it out. That way I can make a small stock pile on a budget, and not feel bad about drinking all my brew in one weekend with friends.

Any suggestions on what would be a good yeast/pitching procedure for these kits?

Edit:
I just found this blurb under one of the IPA's

"This kit requires an extra 2 pounds of fermentable sugar to reach its optimal flavor and alcohol content. Because our beer kit add pack is a blend of dry malt extract, corn sugar and maltodextrin, it will provide the best results, much better than granulated table sugar. Add the complete canned kit upgrade and receive our beer kit add pack, priming sugar, and detailed instructions."

Of the pre-hopped beer kits I've only ever used Cooper's. I was pretty much always satasfied with the results. I did however let the beer ferment longer (at a lower temperature) and bottle condition longer than the instructions suggested. I also always replaced some of the suggested dextrose with DME.

Really the only reason I moved to mini-mash and then all grain was because reading homebrewtalk got me interested in the process. Brewing has become more of a hobby than just a means to produce decent beer on the cheap.

If I ever lose interest in brewing (unlikely) I will probably just revert to banging out the Cooper's kits again (takes less than hour including sanitizing and clean up). The beer is at least as good as most of the stuff I can buy locally and I can make it for nearly a quarter the cost.

Here is a link to the podcast of the one I was talking about.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/698

Brew Strong: Brewing Kit Beer. It is the 11-29-10 podcast.

Jamil talks about using DME for the extra sugars and he used yeast from a starter of a previous brew.

If these kits come with a yeast package discard it and pick up a liquid or dry yeast that is appropriate for the style of beer you are brewing.

ok I'll check out that podcast. Right now I have been hooked on the Joe Rogan Experience, I cant get enough of it.

so for these kits, the extra 2 lbs of fermentable sugar would be 2 lbs of DME?

ok I'll check out that podcast. Right now I have been hooked on the Joe Rogan Experience, I cant get enough of it.

so for these kits, the extra 2 lbs of fermentable sugar would be 2 lbs of DME?

Thats what i would do. Regular sugar would dry it out to much. There is nothing wrong with the can kits if you doctor them up a bit. For some people thats all they can get a hold of.

When I was brewing AE with Cooper's cans,I added a 3lb bag on Muntons plain light DME & a couple onces of flavor hops. NB & Midwest sell the Cooper's ale yeast in 15g packets that are fresher than the little 7g packets in the false lid of the cans. But rehydrated US-05 gives a cleaner tasting beer.

Some great tips people mentioned before me. I personally like Coopers the best out of the canned kits. I use the 7g coopers yeast in the lid but as some people said it wont hurt to pick up a fresh pack of you choose. I tend to brew the kits to 20L (not the 23L it says on the kit) also I tend to add 50% malt extract and 50% dextrose (or liquid glucose) as additive. I have reviewed them pretty much all on youtube - one of my faves is the cooper Mexican Cerveza -- here is a link if you wanna check it out. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am starting to thing that these "incomplete" kits are going to be the same cost as a Isbrewers best kit that has everything. I was thinking I could brew a bunch of beer for $25! Is that even possible?

Here in Nova Scotia I can get a canned kit and ingredients for a total of 26$ (Canned kit 18$ -- 1.5 lbs malt extract, 1.5lbs liquid glucose and a little packet of aroma hops 8$). The cheapest partial mash kit I purchased locally is 30$ with most costing in the mid 30's.

In my opinion the canned kits are cheaper and very quick but if you wanna pay a few bucks more and put in a little extra time I find the partial mash kits can produce a little better beer. I tend to brew a few can kits and then toss a boxed kit in the rotation.

Cheers

So far I have done 3 brews, 4th coming tomorrow afternoon. I did a Festabrew pre-made wort (not really a brew, just dump wort and toss some yeast on top), a Rogue Brutal IPA clone, the Brewer's Best Belgian tripel (currently fermenting) and tomorrow is the Brewer's Best Rye Pale Ale.

I do like quality beer but I am willing to sacrifice some quality for quantity once in a while. I wouldn't stop making partial mash kits though

Years ago my father only used canned kits with regular old grocery store sugar and was never disappointed with the results. I have only done kits to this point with no complaints. They make the perfect entry level brew and are very easy to start modifying. Doing something as simple as using DME instead of sugar for more body, swapping out the included yeast (I have seen some of which don't say clearly on the packet what they are) for known strains, or adding a few hops. With these slight changes you can see what works for you and your style thus giving you something to work from when you start with custom batches.

I have only used Coopers because it was what I was introduced to. Ok, granted, I've only ever done 2. Coopers Pilsner, and Coopers IPA. The Pilsner I did the way my friend told me to (no boiling just putting it all together) and it actually turned out pretty darn good. I did it all with 1.25kg of Light Malt Extract, no DME or dextrose, just dextrose at the end to bottle.

My IPA I boiled the Light Malt only and added the canned wort to it after. So far, I'm letting it ferment an extra week.

Honestly, I'd rather do it this way because it's 1. cheaper, 2. easier, 3. cleaner, 4. just as fun.

I've brewed the coopers IPA can 3 times. First time with the can only and table sugar. It came out Ok, very light body though. Second time with the can and some 3# light DME. It had more body and a fresher flavor. 3rd time with 3# DME and cascade hops for flavoring. 3rd time was the best but by the time you add the extra ingredients you can just buy DME, hops and yeast, and make your own style that tastes better for less money IMO.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks to whomever started this forum, it has been insightful to me! I have a few Coopers cans to use, Irish Stout. Looking forward to brewing!

Thanks to whomever started this forum, it has been insightful to me! I have a few Coopers cans to use, Irish Stout. Looking forward to brewing!

Good to know the OP helped other brewers.

I found something interesting. Always had a problem navigating the Coopers and Muntons sites for information to help out a poster. Here is a site for all of Coopers' products, and it is written in American.

Good recipe guides also.

Yeah their sites are a little difficult to navigate. I didn't see the link though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Lol awesome. Do you know anything about the Android app for these forums? I'm trying to figure out how to read these forums at work.

Lol awesome. Do you know anything about the Android app for these forums? I'm trying to figure out how to read these forums at work.

What is an Android?

Don't have a clue. I'm strictly Windows PC.

What is an Android?

Don't have a clue. I'm strictly Windows PC.

Its an operating system for a smartphone. I heard rumours of an Android based OS for computers, but haven't seen any yet. Maybe I'm also out of the loop.

Hello, just a couple questions. What are some brands of those extract kits that come in a can? They are usually around $20. I'm thinking they are a lesser quality beer than a partial mash kit or something similar. What is everyone's opinion on these kits? They are pretty inexpensive and it seems like they are made a lot faster.

Side note : why do some people hate brewers best kits?

Thanks!

Never really tried them, I always include real grain in my recipes, but if you ever watched Craig on Utube he tries a lot of different kits and gives you an honest critique, quite entertaining. I have tried many of the Brewers Best Kits and for a novice brewer they make excellent beer.:mug:

When I was brewing AE with Cooper's cans,I added a 3lb bag on Muntons plain light DME & a couple onces of flavor hops. NB & Midwest sell the Cooper's ale yeast in 15g packets that are fresher than the little 7g packets in the false lid of the cans. But rehydrated US-05 gives a cleaner tasting beer.

Hi guys,
My first Coopers extract brew is bottled and I'm eagerly waiting.
I would like to start a second one but just would like your guy's advice.

I am looking at either the Lager (I recon the safer option) or the IPA.

I would just like your recomendations on a kit you think I should try and also if I should add anything else eg hopps or dme..

Please note I'm still learning and knowledge levels are still at ultimate rookie.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi guys,
My first Coopers extract brew is bottled and I'm eagerly waiting.
I would like to start a second one but just would like your guy's advice.

I would just like your recomendations on a kit you think I should try and also if I should add anything else eg hopps or dme..

Please note I'm still learning and knowledge levels are still at ultimate rookie.

Thanks in advance

Which beer would you prefer to drink? I would advise you to brew the beer you would most like to drink, and since it your second kit just go as it till you get your process down.

Just my 2 cents....

Do note that Cooper's Lager contains lager yeast. That means that you need to be able to ferment it at lager temps.

Don't try lager yeast if you're a newbie; stick with ale yeast for now.

The Cooper's OS lager comes with ale yeast. The lagers above that series come with true lager yeast. So the OS lager is really a light pale ale.

Hi Guys, sorry if I'm asking a stupid question.
I have a Coopers IPA in the Fermenter wich has been fermenting for two weeks now. My OG was 1038 wich I thought was quite low, but I carried on none the less. I took another Hydrometer reading today and it was 1014. Wich to my limited knowledge is a bit high. It tastes fine and rich in flavour. Colour is a bit light, more like a lager. Now I was wondering.. why is the Hydrometer readings thus the alcohol so low? Is there anything I could change in the future and is there anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks.
#excuse my typos this touch screen is still struggling.

As unionrdr said earlier, to get a higher abv you need to add more fermentables to the can of Coopers. Either more malt extract or corn syrup or other sugar source for the yeast to convert to alcohol.

I brew the kits with 19L of water. Using 23L water I find is too much. Generall I use a coopers kit - 1.5LBS of malt extract and 1.5lbs of high malt glucose (you can use dextrose as well).

Is the Cooper's yeast fruity like Mr. Beer's? Just wondering if they use the same yeast since they're the same company.

It all depends on the brewing temps. If you keep fermentation 20 degrees and below I dont find any fruity tastes at all. If its up in the 20's i have noticed some slight fruity notes. Also if you use to much simple sugars you will get a slight fruity taste.

Thanks grasshopper. The one I brewed that had a slight fruity taste was fermented at 22 deg so I guess that explains it. The taste did dissipate after two months conditioning.

Back