Extract Brewing Without a Kit Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfred

Reaction score
I see tons and tons of recipies on the web or on iBrewmaster for example. These all list the grains, malt extract, hops, etc. but none of them list any instructions on how long to steep the grains, how long to boil the wort, etc. They will usually explain at what time to add hops but that is it. As a newbie, how do I take one of these recipies and make beer from it? How do I know how long to steep the grains, boil the extract, etc?

An example stout:
10 oz. chocolate malt - 60 mins
10 oz. caramel/crystal malt - 60 mins
10 oz. black malt - 60 mins
10 oz. roasted barley - 60 mins
7 lbs. dark dry extract - 60 mins
1 oz. northern brewer hops - 5 mins
8 oz. cocoa powder - 60 mins
8 oz. dark brown sugar - 60 mins

My guess would be to steep the grains (malt and barley) for an hour in a grain bag at 150 degrees or so. After that, add the dark dry extract, cocoa powder, and brown sugar and boil for an hour. With 5 minutes left in the boil, add the hops. Am I looking at this recipie correctly?

Thanks,

Fred
Iowa City, IA

I see tons and tons of recipies on the web or on iBrewmaster for example. These all list the grains, malt extract, hops, etc. but none of them list any instructions on how long to steep the grains, how long to boil the wort, etc. They will usually explain at what time to add hops but that is it. As a newbie, how do I take one of these recipies and make beer from it? How do I know how long to steep the grains, boil the extract, etc?

An example stout:
10 oz. chocolate malt - 60 mins
10 oz. caramel/crystal malt - 60 mins
10 oz. black malt - 60 mins
10 oz. roasted barley - 60 mins
7 lbs. dark dry extract - 60 mins
1 oz. northern brewer hops - 5 mins
8 oz. cocoa powder - 60 mins
8 oz. dark brown sugar - 60 mins

My guess would be to steep the grains (malt and barley) for an hour in a grain bag at 150 degrees or so. After that, add the dark dry extract, cocoa powder, and brown sugar and boil for an hour. With 5 minutes left in the boil, add the hops. Am I looking at this recipie correctly?

Thanks,

Fred
Iowa City, IA

You're going to want to steep your grains for 30 minutes at 150 and then remove the grain bag and bring liquid to a boil. Then turn off the flame, add the malt extract and bring back to a boil and boil for 60 minutes. Having only one hop addition for 5 minutes seems odd, especially for a stout. I think you would want to boil the hops for 60 minutes and add the cocoa powder and the sugar near the end of the boil.

this recipe came off iBrewmaster. So looking at it, how do I know to only steep the grains for 30 minutes and add the cocoa and sugar at the end? Is that just experience or is is there some rules that I need to learn?

Thanks,

Fred

If this were my recipe and I had no instructions I would do as follows.

1. Steep malt and barley in 3 gallons of water (partial boil) in a steeping bag at 155 degrees for 30 minutes.
2.Remove bag, and bring to boil.
3.Once boiling remove from heat and stir in extract.
4.Return to rolling boil.
5. Add hops and set timer for 45 minutes.(Continue rolling boil)
6. After 45 minutes add brown sugar, and cocoa. Continue to boil for 15 more minutes.

You could really add hops whenever you want in the boil, it is personal preference at that point. Just my $.02.

this recipe came off iBrewmaster. So looking at it, how do I know to only steep the grains for 30 minutes and add the cocoa and sugar at the end? Is that just experience or is is there some rules that I need to learn?

Thanks,

Fred

Steeping grains are almost always done like this. No mashing is needed, as these grains won't impart any fermentables to your wort. As for the cocoa and sugar, this is pretty standard for additives that aren't malt. Items such as chocolate, honey, some fruit additions, spices, etc. are usually added with about 15 minutes left, as this ensures those ingredients are sterilized before fermentation.

EDIT: extract can also be added in last 15 minutes, for that matter. In fact, as far as I've been able to tell, the "only" (probablly not the only, but one of the main) reason we boil for 60 minutes is to get the bitter out of the hops.

Zero need to boil honey. For other flavor items, how/when you add them will dictate what impact they have on the brew. There are plenty of examples posted on these boards.

I would suggest looking in the recipe database here to see how people brew. When I post up a recipe I typically include mash time and temps. How much water you mash with is determined by your hardware.

Of course, if you look at enough recipes you will see how people do some things the same and other things very differently. For some things you need to figure out which method to ise by what you're looking to have as a final product.

Huh, I've been steeping for an hour for my first 3 batches. Is this wrong or no big deal?

Also, 10 oz of black malt seems like a lot to me. Might come out more roasty flavored than you'd like

You're going to want to steep your grains for 30 minutes at 150 and then remove the grain bag and bring liquid to a boil. Then turn off the flame, add the malt extract and bring back to a boil and boil for 60 minutes. Having only one hop addition for 5 minutes seems odd, especially for a stout. I think you would want to boil the hops for 60 minutes and add the cocoa powder and the sugar near the end of the boil.

I wouldn't try this recipe...seems toooooo strange to have a single hop addition at 5 and NO bittering hop. That kind of mistake is too much to ignore and then believe the rest of the recipe is OK. Look on this site under recipes and check out the extract stouts you will be a lot better off.

Latest posts

Back