Extract brewing is excellent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Been doing the kits from my local guy, w/ grain steeping. I have no desire to step up my level of brewing for now, these are turning out superb. :mug:

Hell, if it aint broke, don't fix it. I went to all grain a few years ago, but still do extracts once in a while. It's easier, less clean up and great results. Obviously your technique is solid, brew on!

:mug:

Hell, if it aint broke, don't fix it. I went to all grain a few years ago, but still do extracts once in a while. It's easier, less clean up and great results. Obviously your technique is solid, brew on!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I love my extract kits, i want to go all grain but i have two issues.
i live in a TH & we have a rat problem so i dont want to be throwing away that much grain....

I too thoroughly enjoy exctract kits... Im not sure if I will end up going to all grain at this point. But knowing me I probably will ;)

I live in an apartment, and I don't have the room for all grain.

I decided that I'll stick with extract for a long time, and just get the best I can out of it.

A fermenting freezer and a soon to be finished kegging setup will be great.

Going all grain is not for everybody. My friend who got me into brewing has been an extract+steeping grains brewer for 15 years. His beers range from excellent to mediocre... never bad. I asked him about the possibility of him going to all grain and he has made it clear that he has no desire to ever brew beer that way. He doesn't want to spend the money on the equipment and he doesn't want to learn a more complicated way of brewing. He's comfortable where he is, and he is happy with the results. There's nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.

Almost immediately after I started brewing extract, I knew I wanted to go all grain because I like challenges and I like control over different variables that I otherwise would have no control over. I like the idea of brewing beer exactly the way the professionals do, except on a much smaller scale. I like knowing that I am not limited to certain styles and certain grains. I firmly believe that the best all grain beer will be better than the best extract beer. With extract, your beer will always be limited by how fresh and how well made that extract is.

@Wrathbone, have you considered stepping up to partial mashes? You won't need any extra equipment except a 3 gallon cooler, which is very small. You'll be able to replace some of the extract fermentables with grain, giving you a fresher product. It's worth looking into.

I love my extract kits. I will go all grain some day when I have more money for the stuff. Right now i love my beers

@Wrathbone, have you considered stepping up to partial mashes? You won't need any extra equipment except a 3 gallon cooler, which is very small. You'll be able to replace some of the extract fermentables with grain, giving you a fresher product. It's worth looking into.

When I say that I'll do extract "for a long time" that essentially means when I feel as if I've gotten the process down to create consistent batches. I'm too creative to do extract batches forever. I'm sure I'll be stepping up to PM's eventually, but I need to let all the chips fall into their places currently. I'm working on streamlining my process.

For me the downside of AG is the frequent delay between buying the makings and brewing. I've identified seven different types of small mammals in the garage, so I have to store the grain in the freezer and I'd rather use the space for leftover BBQ.

i agree ive done 10 extract kits all turned out wonderful

I also agree, allthough I admit it took me a few attempts to get my process down where I'm really making great beer. Once you get a handle on keeping everything clean and sanitary/sterile and can control your fermentation temps the rest is actually pretty easy and nearly fool proof.

I think there is truth in the statement by Tankard, "I firmly believe that the best all grain beer will be better than the best extract beer." I immediately qualify that with "-all other things being equal".......which they never are. It can be argued that there are so many more variables that the home brewer must control in all-grain brewing than in extract beer, so it becomes just that much more difficult to achieve "-the best all grain beer." And so it goes.

In the single season of brewing that I've done, so far I'm almost indecently pleased with the beer I've produced, and fall into the category of those who don't want the extra equipment, cleaning & sanitation, maintenance, etc. that goes with proper all-grain brewing.

The person who got me into this fascinating pastime has just made the jump to all-grain, so I may see my opinion changed one of these days. But not today.

I too enjoy extract brewing very much. I am not really to the point when I can create my own recipes yet, but once I am AG or at least mini mash will probably be the next step.

I too, don't see going AG anytime soon. I'm just getting back into the swing of things after a 7 year hiatus, and trying to get my technique ironed out. Add onto that the cost of equipment, and I'd rather get my kegging setup finished out first. Besides, there are enough different extract recipes for experimentation to keep me busy for quite some time.

For some of us condo dwellers AG just isn't as feasible. Yes, I've considered doing smaller batches so I don't need to go with a sculpture but frankly extract makes it easy to have a 4 hour brew day from starting the bowl to pitching and cleaning the carboy. I would love for it to be cheaper and thanks to some of the great vendors out there I've had the pleasure sending money to (NB being one, the LBHS being another) extract isn't ungodly expensive. All grain is a some day proposition- right now I'll keep brewing extract and get better until I can take the all grain plunge.

I guarantee my apartment is smaller than your condo, and I do all grain. It really doesn't add THAT much equipment to your storage space. Wort chiller, bigger brew pot, and mash tun... that's pretty much it.

I'll let you know after I open my first bottles.

I can't see myself not going AG but like others have mentioned, I want to perfect my extract/steeping grain method. Then again, why not start now on perfecting my AG method. ;)

So all you need is a cooler retrofit with a new spigot and false bottom, wort chiller, and bigger brewpot? Seems within reach.

You don't even need a false bottom, you can rig up a stainless steel braid on the cheap. There are plenty of threads on how to do that, check out the DIY subforum in the "Equipment" forum.

I have a 10 gallon round mash tun, but you can get away with a 5 gallon tun if you only plan on doing low-medium gravity 5 gallon batches. These really don't take up too much room.

You'll eventually add more and more to your equipment list, but as far as bare-bones "this is what I need to do all grain brewing," ... mash tun, wort chiller, bigger brewpot.

Oh, and a burner. You can't really boil 6.5 gallons on your kitchen stove. You would need this burner anyway if you ever switched over to full boils with extract anyway.

Well... I already have the wort chiller and a chest I could use for a mash tun but I'm not sure how much the wife would like me to take over 1/4 of our space each week for brewing.

I have always used the extract / grain steeping method, and have been happy with the results.
I think that which ever way you brew, if you like the beer you make, you are doing it right.

Well, thanks to DeathBrewers excellent write-up on mini mash, I've considered going to partial mash. But, am also very please with the partial boil extracts batches. :rockin: Done about 8 so far and they've all been very enjoyable. I'm more interested in kegging equipment than different brewing techniques, but i'm sure PM will be in my future.

I <3 homebrew :mug:

Brewed on and a lot off since '95 until this year, all extract with grains. This year for some reason I've dove in head first and did my 12th batch since March last weekend. Once I awoke to the importance of keeping a lower than household temp around the primary fermenter for my beers I've made beers that I would go to the store to buy if I had $10 for a six pack, and this with only a 20 qt. pot (3.5-4 gallon boil volume) and steeped grains. When I eventually stumble across the stuff to go all grain, I'll do it. It will take some pretty cheap/free deals on the MLT and keggle though. I'm more worried about coming up with $$ for hops right now

I debated doing AG but my first 4 batches have all turned out excellent and everyone I've let taste them has given them thumbs up.

My gf and I plan on taking some leftovers from modified extract kits and create our own beer recipe and see what happens.

Extract rocks!

However I'm sure there is something about doing AG that adds a little more to the brews, but we just don't have the space at the moment. Hopefully we will once we move.

I'm really diggin' extract brewing right now (DME with specialty grains, of course). AG is somewhere in the future, but not the near future. The good extract brew's I've made were really good, and the not so good one's can all be attributed to warm fermentation temps. Cooler weather is on the way so I'll be brewing like a mad man this fall! :D

I have flirted with AG and will go there if i ever get a house with some room. There is a lot to learn from AG brewing, but most of the best brewers I have met dont to AG.

Latest posts

Back