Extract Brew - Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHamm

Reaction score
Boiled an extract IPA last night and the estimated OG came out to 1.057 but measured out at 1.044. I had added 6.25 gallons for the boil but barely any boiled off so I was left with about 5.5 gallons instead of 5. would this account for my lower gravity reading?

If your volume is higher, your gravity is going to be lower. I read your question about 5 times and still not sure what the question is.

"I had added 6.25 gallons for the boil but barely any boiled off so I was left with about 5.5 gallons instead of 5."

The more you boil, and the less volume you have, the more the sugars get concentrated.

I ended up with more wort than I had anticipated. I started with 6.25 gallons of water expecting it to boil down to 5 gallons by the end but that didn't happen and ended up with 5.5 gallons. Was figuring this resulted in a lower OG reading but wanted to verify.

I ended up with more wort than I had anticipated. I started with 6.25 gallons of water expecting it to boil down to 5 gallons by the end but that didn't happen and ended up with 5.5 gallons. Was figuring this resulted in a lower OG reading but wanted to verify.

Yea this would have to be the only reason.

Latest posts

Back