Extract Bourbon Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cletus1

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on this extract recipe. I don't live in the U.S. And am a bit limited on my ingredients. I have adapted this from a northern Brewers extract kit based on the ingredients I could find. I am after a strong Americano Porter.

Steeping:
1 LB Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs Dark Crystal
.5 lbs English black malt

4 lbs Amber liquid malt extract
1 lb dry malt extract
2 lbs wheat dry malt extract

1 oz chinook - 60 mins
.5 oz east Kent goldings - 15
.5 oz east Kent goldings - 5

Safale S-04 English ale yeast

2 oz oak barrel chips, 1 vanilla bean, 1oz coffee beans, soaked in woodford reserve bourbon for 48 hours

1-2 weeks primary
4 weeks secondary
Add oak chips
Additional 1-2 weeks

Should the oak chips be soaked longer in bourbon?

Do I dump the bourbon with the oak chips into secondary or just the oak chips?

Any feedback is appreciated - Cheers

Looks good! I would consider US-05 instead of the 04, if it's available. A cleaner yeast flavor profile for American style beers, unlike the more English style 04.

I would pour the bourbon off before adding the oak chips, probably, but I think that's preference.

Good luck, sounds like a fun batch.

I just bottled the NB Bourbon Porter recipe and it called for dumping the chips and bourbon in the secondary. I tried the last cup that would fill a bottle and even non-carbonated it was pretty darn good. Can't wait to try the finished product. Good luck with your batch.

Latest posts

Back