Extract boiling and timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geltzeiler

Reaction score
So I'm new to extract brewing and I have read recipes describing boiling the entire extract for 60 minutes. I was talking to a few people, and they suggested waiting until about 15 minutes to end boil before adding my extract to avoid crystallization of my sugars. I'm trying to brew a very hoppy yet dry IPA, so I was wondering if this was the case. Should I wait till later? Others mentioned adding a couple cups of extract up front and the rest at 15 min. Will any of this affect my hot break or does that not matter with extracts? Any input is appreciated.

Haven't tried it, but everyone says if you are using lme to use maybe a 1/3 for the 60 minute boil with the hops, then add the rest at flame out. This is supposed to decrease the chances of scorching the lme, eliminate extract twang, and help with the color.

I guess dme can be adding anytime, but still recommended toward the end of boil.

Remember your hops do need to be boiled with some malt extract, so definitely add a certain portion to the boil, preferably dme if its in the recipe.

My next batch and am going to try this to eliminate the twang!

Thanks for the posts. I was cautioned about adding the lme at flameout because it doesn't give it a chance to sterilize. That's why people suggested adding it at 15 minutes to end boil. Just a thought. Thanks again

We're only sanitizing,not sterilizing. And pasteurization happens about 162F. When I add the other half of the 3lb bag of plain DME at flame out,I also add all the LME. Since the boiled wort is still at least 180F,you can cover & steep for at least a few minutes to pasteurize. Adding the LME at flame out (if you use DME in the recipe too) will get rid of the darkening & that twang. Hop utilization is pretty good in the 2.5-3 gallon partial boil as well.

Back