Extra Beer Save

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFishBrewing

Reaction score
I brewed my third batch of IPA and cold crashed it in a secondary fermenter after 14 days ie. 7 primary - 7 secondary. It was crystal clear. I kegged it but I still had about two litres left and so I continued to siphon into a clean growler. What now? I have never bottled beer before. I read somewhere that you can put priming sugar in the bottle. I don't have any. Is plain sugar or icing sugar a workable substitute? The beer looks and tastes too good to pour down the sink.

Plain (table) sugar would be fine - about 3/4 tbp per 12 oz. works for me. However, twist caps like the ones on growlers are not recommended for priming. Crimp or swing caps would be better. Not saying it's not going to work, just that they weren't made for it.

I don't know how much sugar would go in the growler, and like FloppyKnockers said, it isn't recommended. My plan once I start kegging is to have a few 12oz bottles handy for the overflow along with the Domino Dots sugar cubes. You put 1 Domino Dot per 12oz bottle and you don't have to worry about calculating/measuring priming sugar. Something to keep in mind for your next batch.

If you want to save and carbonate it I would go get a 2 liter bottle of soda and drink the soda and use that bottle to carbonate it, those bottles are designed to hold pressure.

Back