External CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I would like to have my co2 tank external on my chest freezer fermenter. Any ideas on how to get the line inside? I have read there are cooling coils on the sides of the freezer. I thought I read some come in the bottom. Is that the best way? Is the bottom completely open from obstacles?

I would like to have my co2 tank external on my chest freezer fermenter. Any ideas on how to get the line inside? I have read there are cooling coils on the sides of the freezer. I thought I read some come in the bottom. Is that the best way? Is the bottom completely open from obstacles?

The absolutely safe way is to make a collar and come in through that. I thought about coming in through the lid at the back of the keezer. There is absolutely nothing in most lids besides some foam, and since the only change is in pitch (when you open the lid the hose would pitch down) you wouldn't have to add too much more length to compensate. If your keezer has a light in the lid you would want to make sure you stay away from the wires, but other than that it would be safe. Still a collar would work better I think.

I drilled a hole and ran a 1/4 x 3 brass pipe nipple thru the wall put a barb fitting on each end and all set. I actually did this 3 times. low pressure, high pressure, and nitro, I just leave a little rubber cap on the nitro one for now, to prevent air leaks

I wouldn't even consider running anything straight through the chassis walls of a modern chest freezer, way too easy to hit either the evaporator or condenser tubing. I ran CO2 and nitro lines through the back edge of my keezer lid via 1/4" MFL-MFL bulkheads, emerging under the lid liner. The CO2 line then attaches to a 1:6 manifold screwed into one of the sleepers, while the nitro line just runs to a single QD (I only have one keg on nitro)...

Cheers!

new_keezer_60_sm.jpg

new_keezer_54_sm.jpg

new_keezer_48_sm.jpg

new_keezer_49_sm.jpg

new_keezer_58_sm.jpg

day trippr that is effing beautiful. I like the stc1000 in the lid as well. making note of this for future use.

day trippr that is effing beautiful. I like the stc1000 in the lid as well. making note of this for future use.

Yeah, I like it a lot, very clean. I also like the solution for tap labels. I am one of the very few that hate big tap handles. I actually prefer the small black plastic ones. This solution for what is on tap is simple and effective. I like it!

Yeah, I like it a lot, very clean. I also like the solution for tap labels. I am one of the very few that hate big tap handles. I actually prefer the small black plastic ones. This solution for what is on tap is simple and effective. I like it!

Yeah, well, I've always felt I had to live that part down. I mean, it's definitely a "Low Art" keezer, but it's actually kinda "High Tech Dispensing Appliance" (there's a servo-relay for the compressor to avoid running big cables in and out of the lid to/from the controller, a 12V/2A power supply for the fans and the servo-relay coil, a kill switch and pilot indicator for all that, AC ingress for the whole shebang, and a split duplex outlet to provide unswitched AC for the lid and relay-switched AC to the compressor, all in a panel mounted in the back of the dolly). Then I go and hang a bunch of tags on the faucets? :eek:

The wife's spent the last few years urging me to upgrade the label system. I've frankly been focused on other aspects of brewing ;)

But I was motivated by the RaspberryPints project to get things right , and got my taplist server running on an orphan LCD display which I'll be hanging above the tower. I've been adding some bells and whistles including a temperature log (click on the thermometer) so I can keep an eye on things when I'm out of town, and an IR sensor that will wake the tap list display when someone approaches the keezer. I have all of the code working in my office, just waiting for a slow boat from China for the sensors before deployment...

Cheers!

new_keezer_23_sm.jpg

keezer_controller_sm.jpg

I was motivated by the RaspberryPints project to get things right , and got my taplist server running on an orphan LCD display which I'll be hanging above the tower. I've been adding some bells and whistles including a temperature log (click on the thermometer) so I can keep an eye on things when I'm out of town, and an IR sensor that will wake the tap list display when someone approaches the keezer. I have all of the code working in my office, just waiting for a slow boat from China for the sensors before deployment...

Cheers!

That is very well done man. Everything is laid out so well. I definitely want to see the rest of that build! What you have done already is quite impressive. I feel completely lazy now, I haven't even rigged the light to stay on yet :eek:

Latest posts

Back