Extending airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I currently brew in a fermentation chamber (temperature controlled chest freezer) where I also store my finished beer (and wine). The problem I have is condensation. I have purchased an evo dehumidifier and it works great when I'm not frementing but I am concerned that it won't cope with the moisture created during fermentation (and I don't want to have to deal with mildew again!). Has anyone else had this problem and how have you got around it? I was thinking about having a hose from the bung to outside the freezer and then putting the airlock on the end of the tube (outside the freezer). However, if the evo will sort the problem out (or there is another suggestion) then avoiding having to "extend" the airlock would make life easier.

A blow off tube is basically an airlock.

I'm not sure that will solve the moisture issue. You may want to try a product called damp rid. It seems to do the job for most people's chest freezer ferm chamber.

Wipe down the inside with a rag dampened with a bleach solution, let air dry. Check the seals to be sure you're not getting outside (moist) air inside, particluarly at any penetrations you may have made. I also keep a clean dry cloth in the chamber. Every time I open it i check it with my fingers. If it feels damp it goes into the dryer for a few minutes.

I've been wiping down and use Eva Dry (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFD2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20). I think I have the humidity issue sorted when not fermenting but I suspect that fermentation will result in additional mositure and I'm not sure whether the eva dry will deal with it. Maybe I just need to try it and see. The problem is every time I open the freezer to check I'm letting in more moisture but if I don't open it my wine bottles may start getting moldy (not a nice sight during a dinner party!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back