Explosive christmas ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinSTE

Reaction score
Hi guys,
i had a bit of a problem with my airlock, yeast came up and blew all over the place, i replaced the airlock with a hose the size of the hole in the lid, into a glass of starsan. after just 1h i can see yeast foam coming up the hose..
should i just rinse the hose a couple of times a day, or do i need to drill a bigger hole and get a bigger hose?

Its a 1083 OG yeast used is Safale US-05

No need to rinse while krausen is coming out. Nothing can go in. Is your lid bulging or is the setup you have handling the blow off? May not need a larger hole and blow off tube if the lid is not bulging from pressure build up.

What is the temperature of the fermenting beer? Hot fermentations, besides producing off flavors, make for a very over active fermentation.

You may need a swamp cooler if you're not using one to keep the fermentation temperature under control.

Temp at: 22C
Lid is bulgin a little bit, but not to much. There is just alot of krausen, but very small amount of bubbles, aprox. 10/min.
Could i sanitize a spoon and just remove some of the krausen to put the pressure down?

Temp at: 22C
Lid is bulgin a little bit, but not to much. There is just alot of krausen, but very small amount of bubbles, aprox. 10/min.
Could i sanitize a spoon and just remove some of the krausen to put the pressure down?

Fermentation at 22°C is fairly warm for most ale yeasts. Would be better to just loosen the rim of the bucket a little bit to release pressure. Put the bucket in a tub first to reduce clean up. Cleaning krausen off the side of a bucket is better than trying to clean it off the ceiling.

Most likely too late to reduce the temperature of this ferment. better to just plan for temp control for future brews.

How much head space did you have in the bucket when the wort was poured?

I had 3L head space in a 12L batch.
I could move it but the other place I can put it is around 16-18C.

Fermentation approx. at 12bubbles/min now, no more krausen coming up from through the hose. seems to have settled down a bit.
moved it to the door room that keeps 16-18C.
Thanks for all help!

Today is day 2 or day 3 after active fermentation began?

You could move your fermentor back to the warm area when the temperature of the fermenting beer begins dropping. Around day four or five. You can leave it warm for 2 to 3 weeks until it finishes. With most ale fermentations excess yeast and sediment will start dropping out in week 2. Flavor profiles from the yeasts activity is pretty well set within the first 72 to 96 hours of active fermentation.

It went 3 days from fermentation start until the krausen blew up. today is day 5 of fermentation. and I can see the krausen has halved in size.
will let sit at approx 17C for 2 more days minimum.

Back