Exploding Yeast!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
it isn't really as dramatic as I made it seem. I brewed a Wit beer today and when I went to pitch my White Labs WLP400 Belgium Wit yeast...I shook it like it said to do (I always use their yeast..i love it...never have issues!!).....well it was like I just shook a bottle of soda...it exploded and I only got maybe 1/2 to 1/4 of the vial of yeast in my beer...so here comes the question...do you think what little I got in might multiply and I will be OK or should I just get ready now to visit the homebrew store for more yeast??

On a good note I brewed another beer today...a pale ale...just getting ready to pitch the yeast (i will be ready this time but do not see problems!)..and everything is going great!!!

You'll have enough yeast eventually to ferment your wit(RDWHAHB), but you are a poster child for yeast starters. If you'd had that explosion before brew day you would have no problem making a proper starter with more yeast than you started with in the vial.

I think it should work just fine, as long as the yeast is healthy. I recently did a Czech pilsner with White Labs Czech Budejovice Lager 802 that I got from the bottom of two bottles I brewed last summer. It was hardly any yeast at all, and it took a long time to get going. But it worked very well, and turned out to be one of my best brews yet.

I just gave them lots of 02 and had a pack of SafLager standing by just in case my experiment didn't work.

i think I will be fine...it looks like it is fermenting pretty strong already!!! thanks for the help guys

Open the vial slowly next time, and like cuinrearview suggested, make a starter next time! Put those two together slowly open + make starter, problems resolved :D

yeah, crack the cap open just barely, let it vent, then open it the whole way. Thankfully my LHBS warned me to open like this so I wouldn't be wearing $7 worth of yeast.

I rarely make starters for ales, but I inject pure O2 that really seems to help these 'pitchable vials and smack packs' reach optimal counts prior to active fermentation. At least I cannot detect any off flavors from stressed yeasts. I also don't tend to make very big beers.

Back