exploding fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porterguy

Reaction score
Oh, so THAT'S what an exploding fermenter is all about. :(
It took over a year for it to happen to me (and only a week ago a friend told me about using fermcap...which I obviously should have done. Fortunately, it is in an unfinished part of the basement, and SWMBO wasn't around.:D

porterguy said:
It took over a year for it to happen to me (and only a week ago a friend told me about using fermcap...which I obviously should have done. Fortunately, it is in an unfinished part of the basement, and SWMBO wasn't around.:D

Must be the moon cycle or something, mine almost went off, but I caught it.

Fortunately, it is in an unfinished part of the basement, and SWMBO wasn't around.:D

Cheater! It's no fun unless it happens in a closet full of clothes and you spend the next day or so with a hot washcloth wiping, and wiping... and wiping..... :)

btw, got pics?

ok, I give. what is SWMBO, I assume refers to wife or partner but I got no idea.

She who must be obeyed.

Use affectionately, of course. Not a pejorative term. I love my wife because she lets me brew and supports me in my hobby - she doesn't even like beer.

I see and I like. I am new to this and my wife has been very supportive, and like yours she is not a big beer drinker. thanks for the info.

This hasn't happened to me yet. I do have fermcap that I use to keep my boil down sometimes. When would you add fermcap to keep fermentation down? Will the hot break addition also work to keep the fermentation down, or does it have to be added again once in the fermentor?

My stout just blew the cap off the airlock last night, now I've got brown spots going up the wall of my closet, smells great though!!

This hasn't happened to me yet. I do have fermcap that I use to keep my boil down sometimes. When would you add fermcap to keep fermentation down? Will the hot break addition also work to keep the fermentation down, or does it have to be added again once in the fermentor?

I added after the explosion (and added a blow-off tube too), and within 20-30 minutes it mellowed out, but was still pumping out a little CO2. SO...I don't know if you need to add it again at the start of fermentation if you added to the boil. Sorry.

Back