Exploding bottles question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iv_hokie12

Reaction score
So the title is a slight misnomer, but I wasn't entirely sure how to phrase this. On one of my bottles I interpreted starsan foam coming out of the top of the bottle as the bottle was filling up, and went on to the next one while in reality it only had about 8 oz or so in there. I just saw it today and popped it in the fridge. Opened it a second ago and it sounded like a gun going off. I didn't get a geyser or anything, but it scared the crap out of me. Probably woke my roommate up as well. Any idea what happened?

Partially filled bottles will do that after carbing up since there is less co2 dissolved into solution and more in the headspace. I've had them geyser too, so count yourself lucky :)

Partially filled bottles will do that after carbing up since there is less co2 dissolved into solution and more in the headspace. I've had them geyser too, so count yourself lucky :)

Thanks! And props for figuring out what I was trying to say. I really need to go back and reread before I post.

Back