Expiration date?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleomkd

Reaction score
Hi guys, just a quick question for which I found various answers so I wasn't sure...What is the expiration date on a homebrew? I brewed my first batch in September this year, it was an American Light Lager kit, which came out with about 3,6% alcohol. Thanks

There really isn't and expiration date, somewhat.
All beers will change with age, some change good, some change bad.
Try it and see!

To put it in perspective, in the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revisiting-my-classics-160672/

And I brewed an og 1.150, 150 IBU barleywine that I won't be opening for 5 years.

Not to mention the fact that there are vertical tasting for certain beers like Stone epic, where people collect each years beer and then sample a flight of them going back in time.

Nothing pathogenic can grow in beer. So if they taste fine drink them.

When I was researching my Burton ale,1 of the Burton upon Trent brewers claimed they let their #1 Burton ale (a barley wine with an OG of 1.150+) age for 14 years or more. Not sure I believe that,but with barley wine's high ABV,it could be done.

Back