Experts chime in . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinese

Reaction score
I am brewing next week. I am trying to duplicate a clean, crisp ale that was strongly flavored of Citra and Simcoe. I know the grains that I must use, but I have no clue the ratio/amounts. The base malt is a 6 row pilsner. Others are: white wheat, flaked oats, and flaked rye. Somebody hit me with a potential ratio to get a 5 gallon batch going?

try 70-80% base malt and 20-30% of the others. for hopping, add whatever bittering hops at 60 and then add one to two ounces of each citra and simcoe at 10 min and again at flameout and again as a dryhop.

Good call. Any idea of amounts? I'm going extract with the pilsner . . . Steeping the others.(unless something else is recommended. I'm not set up for all grain)

any chance of doing a partial mash? i think you'd get more from the grains you mention if you could mash a pound of each with a pound of 6-row.

if you can't partial mash, a steeping approach would be doing 1/2# of each grain plus a handful of rice hulls. throw in a 1/4# of six-row too. i think it will get really sticky but you should still get some benefits from them. after steeping, add 1/3 of your total extract and add the remainder at flameout. i think about 6 pounds liquid extract would be right. do you know what ABV you are shooting for?

Yeah, partial is doable. 45 minutes at 155? Add the extract during the boil?

Yeah, partial is doable. 45 minutes at 155? Add the extract during the boil?
the temperature range should be around 148-156. use your judgement on when to add the extract. you can add it all at the beginning or all at the end or anywhere in between. i've had the best luck adding almost all of it at the end.

Back