Experimenting with a partial mash robust Porter recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews-n-Blues

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm doing a 5gal partial-mash, extract robust Porter kit recipe soon. I was wondering how to do a vanilla porter with this kit? What would be a good addition time for the vanilla and how much do you think would be enouph for a 5gal batch?
Is it better to use liquid vanilla extract, vanilla extract paste or while beans?
Is it possible to split the batch and do one original recipe and one vanilla Porter?
Like I said, I'm new to Brewing, but wanna try this? Any ideas or i fo would be a great help!
Cheers to Beers!!
Rock

What would be a good addition time for the vanilla and how much do you think would be enouph for a 5gal batch?

If using extract, you could add to taste at bottling. If using beans, a couple of split beans for 2-3 days in secondary (or the end of primary) might be a good starting place. They vary in potency, depending on type and where you buy them, so how many beans and for how long is kind of a trial and error thing.

Is it better to use liquid vanilla extract, vanilla extract paste or while beans?

IMO, beans are superior flavorwise.

Is it possible to split the batch and do one original recipe and one vanilla Porter?

Of course.

ETA: If you decide to dose with extract, this cheat sheet might help.
http://sonsofalchemy.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Flavor_Sample_Dosing.pdf

If you add vanilla extract at bottling you can easily split the batch. Use real vanilla and add a little at a time until the flavor is what you want. Often a little (1 teaspoon) goes a long way.

Back