Experimentation lager mash fun time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubcut

Reaction score
So I've got this 50 pound bag of English Pale malt. I was thinkin, If I put together the most bare boned beer recipe where the only variables between them would be: The yeast, the mashing rests, and my mistakes (inevitable) then... it'd be pretty effin cool!

I probably got some of yall yawning, but I wouldn't mind doing something boring and somewhat insightful/informational. Especially after the last couple of hit or miss eccentric batches.

The goal: Two different yeasts, three different mash schedules, six different beers.

It would start as a 6 gallon batch
11lb. Pearle Pale Ale Malt <----the only for sure
.75 oz. Saaz (60 min)
1 oz. Saaz (15 min)

That gets split in two 3 gallon batches. A different lager yeast in each one. x3

The lagering temps will be uniform as well.

My questions

1. You think this malt would be ok for lagers?
2. Hop suggestions? I chose saaz, I don't know why.
3. Favorite lager yeast?

Whatever you decide to do, I wouldn't have a big difference in your mash schedule. English pale malts are best single-infused. Definitely don't do a protein rest.

Whatever you decide to do, I wouldn't have a big difference in your mash schedule. English pale malts are best single-infused. Definitely don't do a protein rest.

I agree. The only differences I can think of might be saccrification rests temperatures and mash thickness. Mashing low (147, for example) will help create a thin, more fermentable wort that can finish with a very low FG and mashing high (158 at the highest) will help create a more dextrinous wort that can finish with a high FG.

Of course, some yeast strains have different attenuation rates, so you could get as low as 1.006 with a wort mashed at 147 if you use a yeast that has an attenuation rate that is in the 80s, depending on the OG. If you use a lower attenuating yeast strain, then you will have a higher FG on that end, too.

Mashing low (147, for example) will help create a thin, more fermentable wort that can finish with a very low FG

Single infusion mashing below 149°F can leave a lot of starch in the wort (= hazy beer) because starch is not gelatinized below 149°F and therefore not as accessible to diastatic enzymes... according to Noonan anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I was reading Designing Great Beers last night on Pilsners/light lagers, and 2-row english pale did not come up in the discussion for great lager malts. I think I might devote this bag to ales and order a bag of pilsner or American 2-row for the lager experiment.

Thanks for the advice. I was reading Designing Great Beers last night on Pilsners/light lagers, and 2-row english pale did not come up in the discussion for great lager malts. I think I might devote this bag to ales and order a bag of pilsner or American 2-row for the lager experiment.

Sounds good. My vote goes for the pilsener malt.:)

Latest posts

Back