Experiment with Munich Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of experimenting with using Munich malt more often or in higher amounts. One idea is to take a recipe with two-row pale malt and substitue 1/2 pilsner and 1/2 Munich. I'm thinking of trying this on an IPA recipe - to get more of the Munich maltiness. I'm subbing in the Pilsner to balance it (plus, i've got an excess of Pilsner on hand) I know it won't be the same (that's the point) but wanted to see if others here thought it was an experiment worth doing or a disaster in the making?

I had similar thoughts a while ago and I can say that it turned out amazing! I subbed all of the base malt in my normal oatmeal stout for munich. Here is the thread. The recipe even ended up in the db because I liked it so much and have made so much of it.

I've used up to 100% dark munich malt and I can't say I've ever been displeased with the beer. I love that malt. :)

Got a SMaSH beer in front of me with Munich and Northern Brewer. This beer has made me love this malt. I just used it in an APA, can't say one way or the other on that right now, it's cold crashing. But the samples have been very promising. It was 5.5 lbs 2 Row and 2 lbs Munich.

Thanks guys. The thread on the stout was tremendously helpful - I'm brewing a stout this weekend and you've inspired me to use the Munich in it. Its a milk stout, so I think the maltiness will be especially appropriate. I may up the ibu's a little, just for balance. My brew partner (my son) wants to secondary half of it over cherries, when we get to that point.

In any case, thanks for affirming my intention to experiment with more Munich! Here's the stout recipe:

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)

Ingredients:
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.26 %
6.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 51.06 %
2.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 17.02 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6.38 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
0.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.7 IBU
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.51 %
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile:
Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.99 %
Bitterness: 33.7 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 36.3 SRM

Mash Profile:
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
45 min Mash In Add 13.44 qt of water at 170.5 F for mash temperature of 158.0 F

Bradsul (or anyone) - before I was going to try the Munich-heavy approach with this stout, I was going to mash high. With the Munich, is that still a good plan, or would it just be too much malty-ness? Things to ponder . . .

A higher mash temperature will give you more body, but it won't actually give you more flavour. So sure I would go for it. Nothing quite like a nice malty beer that has some great mouthfeel to it! :)

A higher mash temperature will give you more body, but it won't actually give you more flavour. So sure I would go for it. Nothing quite like a nice malty beer that has some great mouthfeel to it! :)

I see your point. Its hard for me to differentiate between the two - but they are two different aspects. Thanks for helping me think this through

:mug:

Back