Experiment to Save Gushers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1sportsdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've got some Vanilla Porters that have become gushers as they sat in my basement not refirgerated. They evidently were not quite done fermenting when I bottled them. If I open them after they are completely chilled, they will slowly gush but it takes about 20 sec for them to start to overflow. If I open them warm, they immediately gush and overflow. I'm gonna try an experiment. I am going to completely chill a 12 pack and one at a time, uncap them to relieve the excess pressure and then recap them then return them to the fridge and let them re-establish a new equilibrium. Hopefully it will end up being less of a gusher.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

First, I would try to get them all refrigerated in the interim and take precautions when handling (gloves/goggles). I've never had a bottle bomb, but reading here, they aren't pretty and are potentially dangerous.
Your method should work, might take a number of cycles.
Did you record your FG and/or take a couple readings days apart?

First, I would try to get them all refrigerated in the interim and take precautions when handling (gloves/goggles). I've never had a bottle bomb, but reading here, they aren't pretty and are potentially dangerous.
Your method should work, might take a number of cycles.
Did you record your FG and/or take a couple readings days apart?
Yes. I will get them all in the fridge. I did take readings. I got a final reading of 8.4 Brix (1.013). Same reading I had 4 days earlier. Oh well. If I had refrigerated them, it would have been a non issue. I am in the process of converting over to kegging, so that would have resolved it as well.

No off flavors/signs of infection?
How long have they been bottled?

I think trying to reduce levels in the bottle is going to take a few(or more) tries.
If you are afraid of bottle bombs, I would suggest putting them in a container (with a lid) in the fridge. Most bottle bombs I have seen/experienced have been due to a defect in the bottle, They either explode (usually near the neck) or blow out the bottom of the bottle. Sometimes this results in flying glass, and always results in sticky beer(hence the container with lid suggestion).

If they have been bottled a while, and there is nothing infected, bottle conditioning might be mostly done. If so, I think I would just leave them cold, and pour into a glass(oversized?) to enjoy. They may just be over carbed for the style.

If they're so badly overcarbed you won't get any improvements with less than at least five and up to ten or possibly even more uncappings and recappings. The reason being there is very little CO2 in the neck of the bottle that will be removed with a single uncapping hence the need to repeat as necessary.

If they're so badly overcarbed you won't get any improvements with less than at least five and up to ten or possibly even more uncappings and recappings. The reason being there is very little CO2 in the neck of the bottle that will be removed with a single uncapping hence the need to repeat as necessary.

+1
I tried to do exactly that a few months ago with an ESB that was overcarbed for the style. Nothing even close to a gusher. It was actually a good level of carbonation in general but just a bit too much for an english ale.
I tried up to 12-13 pressure relieves and recaps, having the convenience of swing-top bottles. With at least one day in-between to reestablish equilibrium. It did not decrease the carb level by much.

Probably one should leave the bottles open for a given time period before recapping, but who wants to do that? (oxidation...)

I'm afraid I'm going to need a very large glass. Probably a pitcher. No off flavors at all. No signs of infection. Just a ton of carbonation. I'll see how the test goes but for now plan on pouring them into an oversized container and letting them settle down.

I have had a good few gushers in the past mainly because of the high ambient temperatures and nowhere cool to store my bottles, the way I deal with them is to use a sharp knife to gently pry the cap until I hear the hiss of escaping gas then let it settle back and reseal, I do this until the beer stops frothing after the release of gas then put them into the fridge for disposal later. takes time but worth it in the end.

Might have gotten some wild yeast in them when bottling. If so , they could continue fermenting, throwing off harsh flavors and fusels. I think the recommendation above to refrigerate all of them and drink ASAP is best.

This idea probably won’t be great with porter but I liked it with an IPA I recently had this problem with. I noticed long ago that adding lime to Mexican lager resulted in no foam so I tried putting maybe a half to one teaspoon of lime juice into a larger glass before pouring the beer. It knocked down the foam quite a bit and I liked the citrus flavor it added. Also getting the glass cold and wet before pouring helps. Put a few ice cubes and some water in the glass and shake it up good then add the lime and pour.

Back