Experiment suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking of experimenting with some single hop additions for evaluation.
Any suggestions will be considered.
I'll start with a simple pale ale base of about 10# MO and 1# C60.
Then use a clean, control bittering hop like Warrior to get my base wort to about 35 IBU's.
After 40 min, I'll divide the wort into 5, 1 gallon batches. 4 will finish consecutively on each burner on the stove and 1 will get cooled and go to the fridge for future starters.
In each of the 4, 1 gallon batches I'll add a different single hop for the flavor addition and the aroma addition. I will even consider a small amout of dry hopping.
The difficult part is going to be to get an exact yeast pitch in eash batch.
Idea's are welcome.

Bull

Hops are easy.

I will start with American varieties, most likely Cascade, Simcoe, Amarillo and either Willamette or Citra.

My plan then is to move to a English/ Knoble variety like Fuggle, EK golding, Hallertauer and maybe Tetnanger.

I think the difficult part will be dividing the yeast equally. I don't have a really fine scale for dry and I was really thinking of using liquid anyways.

Maybe a large(1000ml) starter, shook at high krausen and quickly divided will yield the same amount of cells per split. I really want the variables as minimal as possible.

This is really about the different hops more than anything else.

The bottle conditioning is another concern. I'm thinking of using carb tabs.

Bull

Bull

This sounds remarkably like a SMaSH...or am I wrong?

Just to condense the "search for it" threads that stands for, Single Malt and Single Hops. There are TONS of recipes out there for these. Also, if it were me, I would line up some 1 gallon wine jugs (I think Carlo Rossi is popular) that way you can do 1 large mash and smaller volume boils with each hop type you want to try...This way there is no variables in mashing and such...I would also suggest using 2 row pale for these.

If this is NOT what you are trying I guess I must have missed the idea...

So you are comparing flavor and aroma only.
This chart may help

I'd suggest picking based on the ratios of the 4 main essential oils...
1) Amarillo, Citra or Simcoe - myrcene
2) Hallertauer, Saaz, or Kent Golding - humulene
3) Hursbruker, Spalt, Columbus or Chinook - caryophyllene
4) Tettnanger, Santiam or Sterling - farnesene

The chart will help but the hops you list in the same groups above are significantly different in aroma and flavor. For instance, the citra seems much more similar to cascade than to either simcoe or amarillo.

As far as the SMaSH goes, I get that, but I think the experiment will be more more realistic if the finished product is based on an pale ale recipe. If I just use 2 row, I won't have enough malt balance.

Any other suggestions?

Bull

Back